The U.S. Department of the Treasury has a distinguished history dating back to the founding of our nation. As the steward of U.S. economic and financial systems, Treasury is a major and influential leader in today's global economy. We have over 100,000 employees across the country and around the world. Come Join the Department of the Treasury and Invest in Tomorrow.
This announcement may be used to fill additional positions in more than one Business Division throughout the Service.Learn more about this agency
The Large Business and International (LB&I) business unit provides service and enforcement activities to support tax compliance of businesses and related entities with assets of $10 million or more, as well as small U.S. businesses engaged in international, U.S. citizens abroad, and foreign persons and businesses with a U.S. tax requirement.
WHAT DOES AN INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY SPECIALIST (DATA MANAGEMENT) DO? An Information Technology (IT) Specialist (Data Management) uses a wide variety of information, knowledge, and tools to develop, modify, and administer IRS databases used to store and retrieve data and to develop standards for the handling of data. In this specific role, you may be called upon to lead significant projects assigned to the local IRS installation or lead the local implementation of IRS-wide Data Management projects. This work often involves difficult and complex problems in the administration of databases, in the modification of data elements, retrieval, and reporting of information to customers from the databases, and insuring the security of data. The solutions of problems and issues have application outside the organization, and are adaptable to many customers or IRS sites.
As an Information Technology Specialist (Data Management) you will:
- Design, develop and maintain databases.
- Monitor and optimize database performance and tuning of database operations.
- Generate complex queries and reports.
- Participate in the design of data mining and data warehousing of systems.
- Develop data dictionaries, data models, metadata repositories, and other data management tools.
- Produce database design schema for integrating source data into data management systems.
- Ensure compliance with data management standards. Recommend new or modified standards to increase efficiency.
- Recommend performance enhancements such as increasing storage capacity or modifying interfaces.
- Plan and coordinate the migration of data to a newer version of a database management system.
- Perform a wide range of database administration functions, including running test queries, troubleshooting database problems, maintaining version control of database entities, advising customers on new database features, and leading studies to evaluate the effectiveness of current database methods and procedures.
WHERE CAN I FIND OUT MORE ABOUT OTHER IRS CAREERS? If you want to find out more about IRS careers, visit us on the web at http://www.jobs.irs.gov/
Occasional travel - 1 to 5 nights per month
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/517699500. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.