This position is located in the Federal Highway Administration (FHWA), Eastern Federal Lands Highway Division, and is responsible for performing duties related to bridge and structural components of Federal Lands Highway's (FLH) projects.
Learn more about this agency
As a Civil Engineer (Structural), at the full performance (GS-12 level), you will:
- Serve as a senior level structural engineer developing, promoting, and applying sound design, plan development, construction support, and maintenance for the structural components of Federal Lands Highway projects. As a technical resource to the Structures Office, other agency professionals, agency officials, field employees, and private A/E firms, you will provide structures support over the life of the project from preliminary planning through construction for Federal Lands Highway projects. The projects occur primarily on Federal lands managed by other Federal agencies, such as the National Park Service and U.S. Forest Service, and cover a multistate area. Work encompasses the design and repair of a wide variety/range of structures and the application of advanced structural theories, state of the art technology, and innovative structural construction techniques. As delegated, serve as a lead designer for the project.
- Interpret and apply relevant structural codes and guidelines for design, construction, testing, and maintenance of structures, including seismic design and retrofit; determine structural design parameters; design approved structures using appropriate mathematical analysis for loading.
- Develop Plans, Specifications & Estimates (PS&E) for bridges and other highway structures that comply with FLH Bridge Design Manual, AASHTO LRFD Bridge Design Specifications, AASHTO Construction Specifications, and other appropriate standards and guidelines.
- Use MicroStation, CADD, and structural analysis computer programs/software to design structures.
- Use advanced analysis including concrete, steel and prestressed concrete design for both new construction and rehabilitation to address project needs.
- Use the most current technologies, standards, and practices in the development of projects.
- Provide technical assistance in the review of structures construction submittals or proposals, issue resolution, and field support.
The ideal candidate for this position is a structural engineer with experience effectively working in multi-disciplinary teams; providing bridge design services as well as developing the development of Plans, Specifications, and Estimates packages; and using CADD and design software programs in detailing structures.
Occasional travel - Less than 20%
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/517668500. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.