This position is located in one of the Clinical Laboratories within the Division of Intramural Research (DIR) National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences (NIEHS). As part of the National Institutes of Health (NIH), NIEHS is a mission-oriented institute dedicated to reducing the burden of environmentally associated diseases and dysfunctions.Learn more about this agency
- Assist in the examination and observation of patients by performing such duties as taking diagnostic histories, conducting physical examinations, and performing diagnostic screening tests, i.e., pulmonary function tests and obtaining blood gases.
- Interpret physician orders, provide specialized therapy to critically ill patients that usually require adaptation of established technical procedures.
- Participate with the physician in planning, instituting, evaluating and devising a patient care plan for pulmonary hygiene.
- Assist the physician in determining therapeutic objectives/goals of respiratory treatments/therapy and evaluating the physician order for appropriateness and adjusts the order if necessary.
- Observe patients closely during treatments/procedures, and, as required, take blood pressure, pulse, obtains blood gas samples reporting vital signs and obvious changes in patient condition.
- Process specimens using equipment, instruments, or techniques that are necessary to prepare them for specific analysis (pH, hematocrit, oxygen saturations, etc.).
- Administer methacholine challenge, pulmonary function measurements, other stress test or metabolic test measurements, induced sputum procedures.
- Assist with bronchoscopy and related activities (patient preparation, lavage, biopsy).
- Participate with the physician in planning, instituting, evaluating and devising a research and patient care plan for research studies.
- Collect and enter research and clinical patient care data.
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/516720400. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.