This position is part of the Ruby Lake National Wildlife Refuge. As an Engineering Equipment Operator, you will be responsible for operating a variety of gas and diesel powered engineering and construction equipment with wheeled or crawler type traction, and attachments to maintain the refuge complex's infrastructure and habitats. You will work on irregular terrain, close to buildings, drop-offs, or other obstructions.Learn more about this agency
This announcement has been extended until Monday, December 3, 2018.
This announcement is being advertised concurrently under R8-19-10352379-NS-MP for current and former federal employees serving under a competitive service career or career-conditional appointment or reinstatement eligible. You must apply to each announcement separately if you wish to be considered under both recruitment methods.
Ruby Lake National Wildlife Refuge is one of the most remote refuges in the lower 48 states and is only accessed by an extended drive on improved gravel roads. The nearest town for obtaining supplies is Elko, Nevada, which is a 62 mile drive in summer (Harrison Pass) and a 92 mile drive in winter (Secret Pass). Winters can be harsh with high winds and deep snow. Children in grades 1-8 attend a one-room school approximately 25 miles north of refuge headquarters. Public school transportation is provided. Children in grades 9-12 must attend schools in Elko or Wells, which many valley residents accomplish by boarding their high-school age child in town with a host family during the school week.
As an Engineering Equipment Operator, you will perform the following duties:
- Operate a variety of gasoline or diesel powered engineering and construction equipment with wheeled or crawler-type traction and attachments on all types of terrain such as flat, hills, steep slopes, grades, rolling surfaces, rocky or soft grounds, and forests.
- Operate heavy equipment close to buildings, towers, trees, drop-offs, waterlines, and rocks.
- Operate crawler tractor on flat or rolling terrain in grading surfaces, compacting soils, and/or spreading surfacing materials to exact specifications.
- Conduct disking, chopping, mowing, rotovating, digging, loading and leveling to rough grade for the purpose of ditch cleaning, culvert installation, creating and maintaining trails and fire breaks, and various other purposes.
- Adjust attachments for proper positioning and working order without stopping the equipment.
- Perform daily maintenance and makes repairs to equipment and attachments.Physical Demands and Work Environment
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/516438600. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.