About the Position: This position is with the Fort Belvoir Community Hospital (FBCH), Department of Pathology, Clinical Pathology, located in Fort Belvoir, VA. Incumbent will be required to perform routine and specialized testing in the Microbiology laboratory.Learn more about this agency
The shift has not yet been determined but will likely be 3rd shift with rotating holidays and weekends, subject to change based on agency needs.
Position is being filled using EHA - Critical Need Health Care Occupations.
- Perform highly technical analyses in the Microbiology service and may be expected to perform duties in the following sections of the lab: Microbiology, Virology, Parasitology, Mycology and/or Molecular Diagnostics.
- Accession/acknowledge specimens using a laboratory computer system such as Composite Health Care System (CHCS).
- Prepare specimens for Gram stain, AFB (acid-fast bacilli) stains, and India Ink, as required; plate specimens for various cultures.
- Process, read, and interpret Gram stains and bacteriology cultures; handle unusual test requests and resolve inconsistent test results/events.
- Develop new solutions to methodological problems.
- Apply understanding of the procedures for performing all of the tests offered by the laboratory.
- Deal directly with clinical staff to discuss interpretation of test results, as requested.
- Recognize and solve quality assurance problems. Troubleshoot instruments used in testing.
- General knowledge of specimen processing, bacteriology, mycology, and parasitology is a must.
- Tests offered by the FBCH laboratory include C. Diff PCR (Clostridium difficile polymerase chain reaction), MRSA PCR (Methicillinresistant Staphylococcus aureus), BV PCR (Bacterial Vaginosis), malarial antigens, and malarial smears.
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/516169500. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.