The VlSN 2 Chief Biomedical Engineer (BME) is a leader of a critical patient care support service for the entire VISN and professional consultant and advisor on professional biomedical engineering and technology matters to the New York/New Jersey VA Health Care Network (VISN 2) Executive Leadership and to the Leadership of each VISN 2 facility.Learn more about this agency
The Program has direct impact on all services provided by multiple Medical Centers, their freestanding outpatient clinics, and other sites and services provided by the VAMCs throughout VISN 2. The Program must provide safe, reliably maintained medical equipment for the delivery of quality health care in a cost-effective manner. A significant and major part of the incumbent's time is spent serving as a VISN and national expert in biomedical engineering, patient safety and medical equipment cyber security. The incumbent evaluates other Programs in VISN 2 and for the national HTM Program office. Duties include but are not limited to:
- The incumbent assures provision of a continuing education program for clinical staff addressing the principles and application of medical instrumentation used in the delivery of healthcare.
- Develops and organizes training for the VISN and national level for professional engineering and other medical center staff as appropriate on engineering topics.
- Authority is assigned to oversee the overall planning, direction, and timely execution of the Biomedical Engineering Program, including development of the service, assignment of duties, and pursuit of higher level administrative approval of goals and objectives for supervisors or managers of subordinate levels.
- The Chief BME approves multiyear and long range plans developed by the supervisors of subordinate levels and subsequently manages the overall work to ensure achievement of those goals and objectives.
- The Chief BME exercises discretionary authority to approve allocation and distribution of funds in the VISN 2 budget.
- The VISN 2 Chief BME works with the national program offices in VACO (OI&T, HTM, SPS, Logistics, Imaging, Telehealth, Medical and Surgery) the incumbent also works with NCPS and CEOSH to advise on the national recall and safety alert program for medical devices including medical device incident investigations, consistent with patient safety goals and compilant with the Safe Medical Devices Act (SMDA) and TJC requirements.
- The VISN 2 Chief BME has full administrative, managerial, and supervisory responsibilities for the Biomedical Engineering Programs at each of the VISN 2 Medical Centers and supporting CBOCs.
Work Schedule: Full-time, Monday - Friday, Days
Financial Disclosure Report: Not required
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/515998000. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.