Serves as a staff attorney representing the agency in litigation arising under the Federal Tort Claims Act (FTCA) and Military Personnel and Civilian Employees' Claims Act (MPCECA).Learn more about this agency
As a staff attorney, the incumbent performs the following duties that include, but are not limited to:
- Conducting thorough legal research by appropriately identifying and analyzing relevant legal and factual issues and arguments. Assessing legal strengths and weaknesses of available arguments to provide accurate, complete, and practical legal advice and conclusions. Identifying and learning emerging issues, principles and practices relevant to legal practice area.
- Producing written and oral communications that are well-organized, clear and persuasive. Providing oral or written advice tailored to the client and requirements of the Agency. Maintaining the appropriate balance between providing oral and/or written advice. Effectively adjusting oral and/or written advice to meet the audience expectations and level of understanding.
- Demonstrating inter-personal skills needed to develop and maintain strong client relationships. Actively participating with clients to identify and meet client goals and objectives. Seeking consensus with client as to the timing and scope of work. Proactively identifying and appropriately pursuing solutions to effectively represent Agency’s interest in responding to high priority areas. Putting forth effort to meet established proficiency level goals and objectives. Keeping client informed of developments, to include why and when an extension may be necessary.
- Developing and demonstrating knowledge and understanding of key client business processes, priorities and objectives relevant to practice area. Accurately identifying client’s business objectives and issues when providing legal advice. Providing appropriate alternative solutions as needed to meet client’s strategic business objectives. Providing legal risk/reward analysis in support of business decisions. Demonstrating knowledge and understanding of when and the willingness to go to more senior-level of client based on risk levels. Demonstrating skill in representing the agency. Consistently putting forth effort needed to accomplish tasks, produce work that is timely and of professional quality.
- Keeping practice area and AGC management informed of client issues and activities that may or should be discussed at a higher management level. Keeping supervisor timely informed of developments on legal matters. Educating clients about efficient and effective use of legal resources. Effectively prioritizing work such that priorities are achieved and deadlines are met. Delegating work to the appropriate level for competent and timely completion. Using available staff resources and technology to manage work flow and product. Seeking feedback from clients regarding quality and timeliness of service. Pursuing new ideas or approaches to strengthen personal professional effectiveness. Following established office administrative policies and procedures. Effectively participating in appropriate training or learning activities.
- Representing the agency in litigation arising primarily under the Federal Tort Claims Act (FTCA), including aircraft accident litigation, in conjunction with the Department of Justice. Providing legal advice and counsel to FAA Management on all legal issues relating to requests under 49 C.F.R. § 9 (Part 9), and claims under the FTCA and the Military Personnel and Civilian Employees’ Claims Act (MPCECA), including reviewing, analyzing and recommending disposition of all administrative FTCA and MPCEA claims. Providing legal advice to FAA management including high-level agency officials, regarding any and all matters within their area(s) of expertise. Providing review and analysis of complex and significant issues within their practice areas to ensure compliance with existing laws, statutes, regulations and agency policies.
- Performing other duties as assigned.
50% or less - The job may require up to 50% travel.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/515658900. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.