We offer state-of-the-art care, providing for an array of patients, primarily elderly males. High volume surgical patients include, ophthalmology, ENT, plastics, general surgery, orthopedics, neurosurgery, urology, vascular (including endo-vascular) Robotics, Endoscopy, and cardiothoracic.Learn more about this agency
The duty station is John Cochran Division; The duty station may be changed to VAMC locations within the metropolitan St. Louis, MO area based on the needs of the medical center.
This position is in the bargaining unit.
· Demonstrates ability to assess the physiological and psychological needs of the patient by providing perioperative nursing care according to AORN Standards and Recommended Practices. Treat patients with dignity, respect, privacy and confidentiality.
· Possess self-confidence to be able to accomplish high level, delicate and skilled cardiac surgery nursing care
· Demonstrates autonomy, collaboration, team building, and mentoring skills.
· Pprovides direct patient care by applying and documenting the nursing process to all avenues of perioperative nursing including preoperative assessment, nursing care plan formulation, operative care plan implementation and evaluation of patient's response.
· Exemplifies the nursing process in the operating room as a patient advocate:
· Collaborates with Anesthesia regarding pt. care issues
· Constant diligence to safeguard pt. from preventable adverse incidents
· Awareness of changing levels of acuity and
· Provides needed supplies, equipment and personnel urgently
· Possesses dual skillset: scrub and circulating experience in cardiac surgery.
· Must possess organizational skills and have an understanding of cardiac surgical procedures
· Provides intraoperative nursing care by implementing sterile technique and maintaining a sterile field when scrubbing and/or circulating.
· Monitors equipment as it is being used for ultimate patient safety.
· Manages the care of the surgical patient in a manner which maintains a safe environment for staff, patients and families; ensures compliance with regulatory body standards and hospital policies and procedures; maintains standards of efficiency and cost effectiveness; and promotes a learning environment for all team members.
· Participates in a rotating call schedule with relief assignments to the OR/Post Anesthesia Care Unit, OR Procedure room and Cysto areas as needed.
Work Schedule: M-F, rotating shifts that require on-call staffing for the department.
Financial Disclosure Report: Not required
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/515013800. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.