This position functions as the primary eye care provider for the Veterans assigned to the Chillicothe VA Medical Center and/or associated Community-Based Outpatient Clinics. Optometry is organizationally part of the Medical/Surgical Service. The incumbent will work alongside primary care teams and other health care professionals to provide seamless care and education on ocular health issues.Learn more about this agency
Duties include but are not limited to:
- Provides thorough refractive and ocular health assessment for patients.
- Provides emergency eye care services.
- Adheres to hospital clinical privileges, optometric accrediting agencies, medical staff by-laws, rules, policies and regulations.
- Coordinates medical eye care with other physicians when eye disease is concurrent with systemic disease.
- Responsible for diagnosis, management and treatment of visual and ocular problems through external and internal evaluation of the eye and ocular adnexa using advanced optometric technology and utilization of medical imaging/information; laboratory results, radiology services etc.
- Utilizes appropriate referral for ophthalmological care when patients' ocular needs surpass the incumbent's scope of practice as defined by clinical privileges, VA regulations and/or licensure restrictions.
- Attentive to providing quality patient education and involving patient/family in decision making.
- Facilitates high quality care in an interdisciplinary setting with attention to communication and continuity of care.
- Assists in the teaching and mentoring of Optometry residents and student externs.
Work Schedule: Monday - Friday 7:30 am to 4:00 pm
Financial Disclosure Report: Not required
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/514810200. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.