Learn more about this agency
THIS IS AN OPEN CONTINUOUS ANNOUNCEMENT. QUALIFIED APPLICANTS WILL BE REFERRED AS VACANCIES BECOME AVAILABLE.
The Mann Grandstaff VA Medical Center in Spokane, Washington has 2 psychiatrist positions available. The inpatient position involves sharing duties with a psychiatrist colleague and a nurse practitioner to mange patients on our 12 bed inpatient unit as well as providing consultation to our med/surg ward and urgent care center when needed. The outpatient position is in our general mental health clinic, working with an excellent multidisciplinary team and assigned nursing support to provide assessment, consultation, and medication management for a panel of veterans. The mental health clinic has a strong collegial relationship with our primary care clinic, which is located nearby. On call duties are shared among the psychiatric staff, and are minimal for both positions.
In addition, the Mann Grandstaff VAMC consistently rates very highly in the VA's annual staff satisfaction and patient satisfaction surveys. Spokane itself is a wonderful place to live, with a revitalized and dynamic downtown area along a beautiful river, attractive neighborhoods, and many lakes, rivers, and mountains nearby. It is the commercial, cultural, and medical referral center for a very large geographic area. The Washington State University Medical School is located here, and the University of Washington Medical School has long-established training programs here as well. Student and resident education is a growing part of the VA mission in this community.
Depending on position (inpatient/outpatient), duties may include:
- Performs psychiatric evaluations for a diverse population, including geriatric and post deployment combat
- Veterans, who are mentally ill and have psychosocial issues such as homelessness, unemployment, and poor family support network.
- Provides a full range of therapeutic interventions including diagnostic assessment, medication evaluation and management, suicide risk assessments, crisis intervention, and overall care of patients with psychiatric disorders.
- Ensures practice of psychiatric medicine is consistent with TJC, CARF, HIPPA, VA policies and procedures, clinical practice guidelines, national statutes and regulations, medical record documentation, and mandatory continuing education.
- Provides a full range of psycho-diagnostic services including assessment and the most appropriate psychotherapeutic techniques in providing quality care.
- The Psychiatrist may serve as a mental health team leader with responsibilities for coordinating consults and triage of specialty clinic referrals.
- Participates effectively in team meetings and treatment planning conferences, and collaborates with multidisciplinary team members that enhances coordination of comprehensive patient care.
- Orders diagnostic tests and consultations, and discriminates between normal and abnormal findings and makes appropriate treatment decisions.
- May participate in supervision and teaching in support of the psychiatric residency program, performs on call duties, and performs other directly related duties as assigned.
- Areas which the psychiatrist is assigned and has clinical privileges to practice may include depression, anxiety, psychosis, PTSD, substance abuse, and other psychiatric disorders in various clinical settings (outpatient, inpatient, ED).
- The ability to provide support for medication assisted treatment, including buprenorphine, is required of all psychiatrists at the facility. DEA waiver for buprenorphine prescribing can be obtained prior to or after hire.
Work Schedule: Will be discussed during interview. There is additional compensation for on call availability.
Financial Disclosure Report: Not required
***Recruitment/Relocation incentive may be authorized for highly qualified candidates***
The incumbent for this position may be eligible to apply for the Education Debt Reduction Program (EDRP) contingent on funding availability. Participation in EDRP is contingent on the availability of EDRP funding and is not guaranteed. Please contact the Education Debt Reduction Program Coordinator for additional information. Please note EDRP is a one-time benefit so if you have already received EDRP in the past you would not be eligible to reapply.
Selected applicants are eligible for up to $15,000 annually in pay for performance.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/514229900. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.