The Registered Respiratory Therapist (RRT) is a member of the VA healthcare team and performs quality therapeutic and diagnostic respiratory care under the order of a healthcare provider with recognized prescribing authority. Under the supervision of the Section Chief/Assistant Chief/Supervisor of Respiratory Care Services, the incumbent displays proficiency and performs at a level of excellence in Respiratory Care.Learn more about this agency
- Maintenance of natural and artificial airways as necessary, including endotracheal suctioning, oropharyngeal or nasopharyngeal suctioning, sputum induction, tracheal lavage, and securing of nasal or oral endotracheal tubes or tracheostomies.
- Monitoring patient status as appropriate via arterial blood gases, chest auscultation, review of x-ray studies, clinical observation.
- Weaning and removing ventilator support, with appropriate monitoring of patient and assessment of ability to maintain reliable spontaneous ventilation.
- Provides ventilatory support, including initiation, maintenance, and management of life support systems, and the patient/ventilator interface.
- Administration of mixed gases (e.g., nitric oxide mix and others as implemented per policy).
- Assisting with insertion and maintenance of artificial airways including but not limited to endotracheal tubes (ET) and intubating laryngotracheal mask (ILMA) airways.
- Collaborating/consulting with attending Physicians, Residents, Fellows, Interns, Physician Assistants, Nurse Practitioners, and other hospital staff.
- Assist with insertion and maintenance of artificial airways including but not limited to endotracheal tubes (ET) and intubating laryngotracheo mask (ILMA) airways.
- Setup equipment selection and appropriately provide care ordered by physician or protocol.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Work Schedule: Part-time; To be determined but most likely will be evening shift, 5 days per pay period, includes every other weekend. PT schedule may change based on the needs of the service. Part-time position salary will be prorated based on the hours worked.
Financial Disclosure Report: Not required
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/513278800. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.