This position is located at the Africa Center for Strategic Studies (ACSS), Defense Security Cooperation Agency (DSCA), and Office of the Secretary of Defense (OSD). The mission of the Africa Center is to advance African security by expanding understanding, providing a trusted platform for dialogue, building enduring partnerships, and catalyzing strategic solutions.Learn more about this agency
Working as part of the Research and Strategic Communications team, the Academic Specialist is responsible for managing the Center's website and social media presence in order to disseminate the Center's key research findings and best practices to a wide-range of African and international stakeholders.
1. Maintain and manage the Center's social media presence in alignment with its mission and brand.
2. Curate the Center's YouTube channel, including reviewing for SEO, creating playlists, and rotating featured videos.
3. Develop and implement creative targeted outreach strategies through social and digital media and use a variety of strategic methods and techniques to reach a diverse civilian, military, scholar-practitioner, and international audience.
4. Manage the Africa Center's website, including posting and curating all content, acquiring images, implementing a rigorous maintenance schedule, maintain security and functionality of plug-ins and applications, designing and implementing new features and functionalities, and maximizing SEO.
5. Demonstrate subject matter expertise in African security issues. Track recent publications, current events, and developments among the African security community and hubs and maintain a strong familiarity with all Center publications and products.
6. Track media coverage of Africa security issues on a daily basis and periodically generate the Center's Daily Media Review.
7. Professionally engage target audiences, media, information hubs, and scholars via external social media fora so as to enhance exposure of Africa Center products.
8. Monitor and provide analysis of metrics of the Center's social media performance so as to maximize impact. Assess opportunities and implement innovative approaches for promoting and communicating Africa Center products, to include formulating and leading specific activities.
9. Stay abreast of changing uses and capabilities of social media networks and adapt the Center's strategy as needed, this includes modifying communication campaign plans to disseminate information through timely and relevant media resources.
10. Design and develop infographics, charts, maps, or other images to convey key academic findings.
11. Film, edit, and publish videos, including title slides, SEO-compliant titles, tags, descriptions, and other features.
12. Work on long-term web design and structural updates, install applications and plug-ins, and create new architecture as needed.
Occasional travel - 15% or less
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/512843300. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.