Police Officer protects property and persons on Southern Arizona VA Health Care property. Enforce appropriate federal, state, and local criminal codes and Veterans Administration regulations originating in federal statutes in the physical protection of patients, members, visitors, and employees; protects the civil rights of all individuals while on federally owned property and is responsible for preservation of the peaceful environment requisite to the operation of medical treatment programs.Learn more about this agency
- Assist patients, members, visitors, and employees who require direction and/or physical assistance.
- Keep daily journal and records routine and unusual actions taken during a complete 24-hour period.
- Control traffic and enforces parking rules.
- Issue traffic warning citations and federal traffic violations notices when necessary.
- Respond to crowd and riot control, bomb threats, and search requests.
- Seek and detect signs of alcohol and drug abuse, trafficking in these items, and other activities involved in the introduction of contraband or vice practices.
- Gather and preserve evidence. Questions witnesses and principals in crimes reported on VA property.
- Perform preliminary investigations pertaining to a felony, drug abuse, misdemeanor or incident of injury, and prepares reports for same.
- Arrest persons for offenses committed on VA property and transfers them to appropriate authorities for detention.
- Observe all activity occurring on VA property and is constantly alert to acts of suspicious nature which may result in theft, burglary, pilferage, assault, or other serious crimes.
- Respond to reports of crime or crime-in-progress, conducts a crime-scene assessment, and intervenes to abort the criminal act or to investigate and initiate actions.
- Inspect all suspicious packages entering the facility. Patrols VA property and grounds, and notes any unsafe conditions and reports same.
- Apprehend, restrain or arrest persons when necessary using a minimum amount of physical force and weapon employment.
- Direct and assist persons to safety areas during fire, storm, or other emergencies, and takes prompt action to evacuate persons from dangerous areas.
- Respond to emergency calls for assistance in controlling and restraining disruptive patients.
- Test intrusion detector alarms, central monitors, and personal emergency signal systems.
- Protect high value medical and medical research equipment, precious metals, agent cashier funds, canteen property and dangerous drugs.
- Protect all information accessed and follows all applicable regulations and instructions regarding access to computerized files, release of access codes, etc.
Position Description Title/PD#: Police Officer / PD #190181
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/512800600. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.