This position is located in the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA), Agricultural Research Service (ARS), Plant Genetics Research Unit, located in St. Louis, MO.Learn more about this agency
IMPORTANT NOTICE: USAJOBS will be down beginning at 12:01 AM ET on Friday, October 5th, 2018 and will be back up and running no later than 11:59 PM ET on Monday, October 8th, 2018. Please plan accordingly as the announcement closes at 11:59 PM ET on Tuesday, October 9th, 2018.
The USDA lab at the Danforth Center specifically focuses on quantifying metabolic flux through plant biochemical pathways, specifically central carbon, photosynthetic and lipid metabolism. This includes efforts to understand carbon assimilation and it's conversion into value storage products such as lipid and protein that are important for food security and as renewable chemical and fuel feed stocks. We use isotope labeling experiments with computational methods to mathematically quantify how metabolism in different plant tissues creates the compounds that are of societal value.
Major Duties may include, but are not limited to:
- Performs metabolite, protein and lipid separation and purifications based on understanding of chemistry and chemical properties of molecules.
- Develops biochemical assays for metabolism based on understanding of primary metabolism and background with biochemistry.
- Contributes ideas and designs in biochemical experiments including positive and negative controls to quantify dynamic operation of metabolism and to plan technical aspects of experimental execution.
- Develops mass spectrometry methods with gas or liquid chromatography to examine isotopic labeling in plant cellular metabolites as part of complex technical duties in the laboratory.
- Skills in use of statistical software and data analysis packages to rigorously quantify metabolism.
Occasional travel - Occasional travel will be required.
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/511229700. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.