The Criminal Division's Money Laundering and Asset Recovery Section (MLARS) leads the Department's efforts to take the profit out of crime through the Department's asset forfeiture and anti-money laundering enforcement efforts. The principal Deputy Chief supervises the seven units and associated team of MLARS: Money Laundering and Forfeiture, Bank Integrity, International, Policy, Program Management and Training, Program Operations, and Special Financial Investigations.Learn more about this agency
The principal Deputy Chief of MLARS:
- Vigorously enforces money laundering statutes, Bank Secrecy Act, and forfeiture laws; supervises the work of attorneys assigned to matters requiring grand jury presentations and trial; reviews proposed court orders and motions; renders advice as to strategy and evidence problems; reviews appellate briefs; and supervises, counsels, and advises attorneys in the trial of cases.
- Consults with the Chief, the Deputy Assistant Attorney General, and the Assistant Attorney General concerning legal and policy questions relating to statutes administered by MLARS and the status of important cases and initiatives; reviews a large volume of general correspondence, legal opinions, authorizations, instructions, and advisory materials that emanate from MLARS; and upon request, prepares testimony for congressional committees.
- Assists the Chief with supervision of complex money laundering cases, asset forfeiture cases, and cases involving financial institutions in conjunction with the unit Deputy Chiefs, including where necessary and appropriate: supervising the work of attorneys assigned to matters requiring grand jury presentations and trial; reviewing proposed court orders and motions; rendering advice as to strategy and evidence problems; reviewing appellate briefs; and supervising, counseling, and advising attorneys in the trial of cases.
- Assists the Chief with oversight of major domestic and international anti-money laundering programs in conjunction with the Deputy Chiefs of the International, Policy and Program Management and Training Units.
- Assists the Chief with planning and supervision of all policy and operational activities within MLARS; implementing the Department's strategic planning for asset forfeiture and money laundering goals.
- Works with the Chief to: provide direct oversight over the allocation of two distinct financial resources, the Division's general allocation and the money received from the Assets Forfeiture Fund; strengthen internal controls for financial systems and improves efficient and cost-effective fund management and accountability; streamline Section operations and reporting hierarchies to ensure that the Section's core competencies are results oriented and citizen-centered.
Occasional travel - Some travel is required.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/511156100. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.