This position is located in the (NMFS), Southeast Fisheries Science Center, with one vacancy in: Miami, FL; Galveston, TX; Beaufort, NC; Panama City Beach, FL; or Pascagoula, MS.
Learn more about this agency
This position is also announced under vacancy number NMFS-SEFSC-2018-0018, which is open to status candidates. You must apply to both announcements if you want to be considered for both.
As a Research Mathematical Statistician, you will be performing the following duties:
- Conduct research to improve the assessment and management of living marine resources as well as perform quantitative analyses utilizing mathematical models to address fisheries population dynamics and related ecological processes.
- Write computer code that implements the operating models for Management Strategy Evaluations (MSEs) and incorporates suitable robustness tests to evaluate the performance of various management strategies, including the efficacy of existing management strategies with improvements to data or alternative management strategies that rely on less data or different types of data.
- Engage with individuals at all levels to evaluate data, conduct analyses and build collaborations across a variety of organizations, including adjacent nations that may share the same fishery resources while representing the Southeast Fisheries Science Center on various Fishery Commissions and technical workgroups.
- Perform and coordinate research to develop new mathematical and statistical algorithms addressing critical problems relating to fish population dynamics, ecosystem-based management and MSE.
- Work with stock assessment scientists, data providers and managers to lead the development of a detailed work plan for the implementation of MSEs in the Atlantic Ocean and adjacent seas with particular focus on the Southeastern United States.
These duties are described at the FPL ZP-4, the ZP-3 is developmental leading to such performance.
Occasional travel - Up to 10% of domestic and/or foreign travel may be required.
4 - If you are selected for a position with further promotion potential, you may be non-competitively promoted if you perform successfully and if recommended by management.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/510356300. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.