WHAT IS THE INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY DIVISION? The mission of IRS Information Technology is to provide leadership in the delivery of information technology solutions that anticipate and meet enterprise-wide needs by empowering employees to deliver customer centered, value-creating systems, products, services, and support.Learn more about this agency
WHAT DOES AN IRS INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY SPECIALIST DO?
An Information Technology (IT) Specialist working general programs uses a wide variety of information, documentation and regulations on the use of information technology resources, IRS data security guidelines, and IRS and Treasury guidance on acquisitions to address and/or adapt to specific problems or issues. As an IT Specialist, you will apply a series of different and unrelated processes and methods, decide what needs to be done based on analyses of the subjects and issues related to the assignment, and select the appropriate course of action from many acceptable alternatives. You will be challenged to independently identify and analyze important factors and conditions in order to recognize and apply an understanding of interrelationships among different IT functions and activities.
As an IT SPECIALIST you will:
- Support implementation and maintenance of network and system services; monitor network and system performance; and troubleshoot problems as they arise.
- Conduct integrated analysis of multiple audit logs (e.g. firewall, Web server).
- Participate in design, development, acceptance testing and implementation of software programs and/or computer equipment. Develop flow diagrams and/or pseudo-code.
- Test and debug programs according to detailed requirements. Install, test, and configure network workstations and peripherals; and instruct customers in logging on and accessing network services.
- Maintain database operations, assist in returning disrupted database systems to normal operations; and create reports and manipulate data in response to customer requirements.
- Prepare and maintain documentation outlining equipment operations and preventative maintenance.
- Analyze complete documentation on the up time and reliability of systems to provide necessary information for contract enforcement. Provide advice and assistance concerning computer software and/or equipment specifications for the utilization and acquisition, resolve issues involving conflicting requirements.
- Assist and/or lead local projects, prepare and present findings, or recommend action involving the analysis of complex problems related to equipment and/or software utilization and acquisition.
WHERE CAN I FIND OUT MORE ABOUT OTHER IRS CAREERS? If you want to find out more about IRS careers, visit us on the web at http://www.jobs.irs.gov/
25% or less - Travel may be required
00 - Full working level of the position will be identified upon selection
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/509146700. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.