The United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO), a progressive organization at the forefront of intellectual property issues around the world, is seeking a high performing professional to join its Senior Executive Team as Chief Patent Academic Officer, within the Office of the Deputy Commissioner for Patent Quality, Office of the Associate Commissioner for Patent Quality, Office of Patent Training.Learn more about this agency
The Chief Patent Academic Officer (CPAO) position is located within the Office of the Deputy Commissioner for Patent Quality, Office of the Associate Commissioner for Patent Quality, Office of Patent Training. The incumbent is responsible for utilizing a wide array of academic approaches, processes and techniques to develop the Office of Patent Training (OPT) priorities. The CPAO must be able to communicate findings orally, in writing and with innovative data visualization to the Under Secretary and Director of the USPTO, Commissioner for Patents, and internal and external stakeholders in a clear and concise manner.
The incumbent will be responsible for the following:
- Exercising a thorough knowledge of the philosophy and mission of adult learning, including in an online learning environment; knowledge of academic program planning and curriculum design and its application to sound academic management in a college or university environment;
- Providing insights, recommendations, and advice on policy and strategy to management; specifically in relation to the creation of the annual Operational Plan for the Office of Patent Training; oversight and guidance of the creation and implementation of annual operational plans for the OPT leadership team; and assisting Associate Commissioner in achieving priority institutional objectives; and evaluating progress toward goals and objectives;
- Overseeing the systematic and routine assessment of all OPT programs and services to measure and plan continuous improvement;
- Representing the Deputy Commissioner and/or Associate Commissioner at times and utilizing industry standard communication and visualization tools to present complex information and analysis to senior executives;
- Identifying areas of improvements and being proactive in resolving issues by ensuring that OPT offers an inclusive environment that promotes understanding and respect within a diverse staff and community;
- Supporting mutually beneficial partnerships between the patents business unit and the intellectual property industry, not-for-profit organizations and other educational institutions;
- Maintaining regular communication and working relationship with other areas of the patents business unit, keeping them informed of current activities and working with them to achieve business unit and Agency priorities;
- Proactively developing and maintaining stakeholders and consultative relationships with key business stakeholders by identifying and addressing academic needs, aligning data strategy with potential initiatives that will drive the business unit and Agency strategic plan and;
- Annually reviewing the program synthesis to ensure that academic programs that directly support the needs of the employees and stakeholders are initiated and maintained.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/509020000. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.