Click on "Learn more about this agency" button below for IMPORTANT information.Learn more about this agency
Responsibilities include teaching undergraduate behavioral science courses, particularly those related to leadership in organizations; directing or managing courses by preparing supporting documents and reports such as syllabi, grade reports, and course assessment reports; preparing and grading examinations, papers, projects, or labs; facilitating cadet research activities embedded within an academic course or offered for academic credit; advising students on appropriate courses or research activities consistent with their academic goals; and promoting a behavioral science curriculum and research to students and stakeholders at department hosted events.
Job family (Series)
Conditions of Employment
- U.S. Citizenship is required
- The selected candidate will be subject to a security investigation leading to successful completion of a background investigation with a favorable adjudication. The selectee's failure to meet this requirement will be grounds for termination.
- Essential qualities expected of every faculty member include the personal attributes of integrity, industry, cooperation, initiative, and breadth of intellectual interests.
- Doctoral degree (see Qualifications for required academic disciplines)
- The salary shown is the minimum (Annual) amount to be paid and may be set higher commensurate with individual's qualifications and experience.
- You will be required to serve a 1-year trial period
- PCS expenses if authorized will be paid IAW JTR and Air Force Regulations
- Must be registered for Selective Service, see Legal and Regulatory Guidance
QualificationsREQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS: An earned Doctoral degree (must be completed by employment start date) in Leadership, Industrial-Organizational Psychology, or other behavioral science field (e.g., psychology and sociology) where the primary focus of their studies, teaching, and research is leadership in organizations.
ACADEMIC DISCIPLINES: Leadership, Industrial-Organizational Psychology, or other behavioral science field (e.g., psychology and sociology) where primary focus of studies, teaching, and research is leadership in organizations
DESIRED QUALIFICATIONS: Ideal candidates should have teaching experience in their respective discipline at the undergraduate level. Candidates should be willing to regularly teach introductory undergraduate courses in one or more of these disciplines and to mentor undergraduate research. Experience planning, conducting and publishing or presenting behavioral science research, experience advising students on course selection and matching students to faculty and research are also highly desired.
Candidates will have a strong commitment to undergraduate teaching.
If selected, you MUST provide original copies of ALL OFFICIAL transcripts for degrees being pursued or obtained (or letter of degree completion if an OFFICIAL transcript is not available due to recent graduation) to support your educational claims as stated in your curriculum vitae. Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education. Legible photocopies of OFFICIAL transcripts are acceptable for initial application submission. However, if selected, you will be required to provide (original) copies of your OFFICIAL transcripts. For a transcript to be considered OFFICIAL, it should be printed on university letterhead and the registrar's official seal/signature must appear on the transcript. Your transcripts must also reflect the degree awarded/conferred date. Transcripts labeled UNOFFICIAL will not be accepted.
Note: Ensure you include ALL transcripts to support your educational claims as stated in your curriculum vitae (resume) even if not required for this position.
Education completed in foreign colleges or universities may be used to meet the educational requirements. However, you must show proof that the education credentials have been deemed to be at least equivalent to that gained in a conventional U.S. education program. It is your responsibility to provide such evidence when applying in the form of an "official" statement of U.S. equivalency from a Department of Education approved (non-federal) agency (i.e. AICE, NACES), who will complete a U.S. Standard of Education Conversion.
This job is being filled by an alternative hiring process and is not in the competitive civil service. Late applications from veterans will not be accepted for faculty positions. Late applications for veterans only apply when filling positions in the competitive service.
Individuals who are eligible for Schedule A, 213.3102(u) appointments cannot be referred under the Air Force Selective Placement Program process for faculty positions. Schedule A applicants must email a completed application package to the address specified in the "How to Apply" section and it must be received by the closing date of the announcement. Late or incomplete application packages will not be considered.
As a condition of employment, male applicants born after December 31, 1959 must be registered or exempt from Selective Service. For additional information click here.
This is NOT a designated drug testing position.
Direct Deposit: All federal employees are required by PL 104-134 to have federal payments made by Direct Deposit.
Employed Annuitants (Reemployed Annuitants): Applicants in receipt of an annuity based on civilian employment in the Federal Service are subject to the DoD Policy on The Employment of Annuitants. Click here for more information.
Current Federal Civilian employees may apply for temporary and term positions and if selected, a break in service of at least three (3) calendar days may be required prior to appointment to the position.
USAFA is an Equal Opportunity Employer and provides reasonable accommodation to qualified applicants with disabilities. The Air Force believes that diversity is essential to accomplishing its mission. The Air Force Academy highly values individuals who have a demonstrated ability to work successfully with and help develop individuals of diverse backgrounds and perspectives. For the Air Force, diversity encompasses: personal life experiences, geographic background, socioeconomic background, cultural knowledge, educational background, work background, language abilities, physical abilities, philosophical/spiritual perspectives, age, race, ethnicity, and gender.
Applications submitted under this announcement will be considered ONLY for this vacancy.
Travel and relocation expenses WILL be paid.
If you have questions regarding this announcement and have hearing or speech difficulties click here.
Tax Law Impact for PCS: On 22-Dec-2017, Public Law 115-97 - the "Tax Cuts and Jobs Act of 2017 suspended qualified moving expense deductions along with the exclusion for employer reimbursements and payments of moving expenses effective 01-Jan-2018 for tax years 2018 through 2025. The law made taxable certain reimbursements and other payments, including driving mileage, airfare and lodging expenses, en-route travel to the new duty station, and temporary storage of those items. The Federal Travel Regulation Bulletin (FTR) 18-05 issued by General Services Administration (GSA) has authorized agencies to use the Withholding Tax Allowance (WTA) and Relocation Income Tax Allowance (RITA) to pay for "substantially all" of the increased tax liability resulting from the "2018 Tax Cuts and Jobs Act" for certain eligible individuals. For additional information on WTA/RITA allowances and eligibilities, please visit: https://www.gsa.gov/cdnstatic/FTR%20Bulletin%2018_05%20Relocation%20Allowances_0.pdf
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Applicants possessing the required qualifications as contained within this announcement will be evaluated and ranked by a Faculty-Rating Panel based on the extent to which their experience and education relate to the requirements of the position. A personal interview and presentation to the faculty may be required of the top applicants.
Applicants will be assessed based on their teaching credentials, scholarship, service, and education.
Your application package (curriculum vitae, cover letter, and statement of citizenship.) will be used to determine your eligibility, qualifications, and quality ranking for this position. Please follow all instructions carefully. An incomplete package will result in non-consideration of your application.
USAFA is dedicated to the goal of building a pluralistic faculty committed to a multicultural environment that enriches the educational experience of our students. Hence, we are especially interested in candidates whose teaching, life experience and/or research interests contribute to a climate that values and uses diversity in all its forms. Interested persons should submit a curriculum vitae and a statement of interest that addresses the ways in which the applicant's qualifications meet the requirements of the ad to include evidence of teaching excellence, promise of research productivity, and commitment to diversity/inclusion. Additional documents are required to complete your application package, please reference the "How to Apply" and "Required Documents" section for more information.
Background checks and security clearance
Drug test required
The following documents are required and must be received by the Faculty Staffing Team (10 FSS/FSCA) by the closing date of the announcement.
- Letter of application (cover letter)
- Curriculum vitae (resume)
- Statement of U.S. citizenship: A statement indicating your country of citizenship (i.e. "I am a citizen of _ .") is required to be included on your cover letter or curriculum vitae
- Veterans' preference documents, if applicable (i.e. DD-214 or Proof of Service letter (if active duty military), SF-15, Veterans Affairs letter for federal employment)
- Teaching Accomplishments: Include teaching experience and teaching awards.
- Professional Accomplishments: Include research, consultations, publications, and awards.
- Service Accomplishments: Include memberships, leadership roles, nature of service and contribution in collegial and/or professional organizations, societies, etc.
- Statement on Diversity: Include teaching, life experience and/or research interests which contribute to a climate that values and promotes diversity in all its forms.
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding. Learn more about federal benefits.
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
How to Apply
You must submit your application so that it will be received by the closing date of the announcement, 10/16/2018.
Complete applications must be e-mailed to USAFAFacultyJobs@us.af.mil no later than October 16, 2018. All required documents must be attached to ONE email. An incomplete application will result in non-consideration.
Ensure you use this subject line :#18-32 DFBL - Assistant Professor of Behavioral Sciences & Leadership.
Faxed, mailed, or incomplete applications WILL NOT be accepted or considered - NO EXCEPTIONS.
A complete application package will include a letter of application (cover letter), curriculum vitae, and a statement of citizenship.
An incomplete package will result in non-consideration of your application.
IMPORTANT: A statement indicating your country of citizenship (i.e. "I am a citizen of _______.") is required to be included on your cover letter or curriculum vitae.
Your curriculum vitae must include detailed information in the following areas, as appropriate:
1. Teaching Accomplishments: Include teaching experience and teaching awards.
2. Professional Accomplishments: Include research, consultations, publications, and awards.
3. Service Accomplishments: Include membership, leadership roles, nature of service and contribution in collegial and/or professional organizations, societies, etc.
If you are claiming veterans' preference, please provide basic eligibility information in your cover letter. Also include in your application a copy of your DD-214 (Member Copy 4) and, if disabled, a completed SF-15 (Application for 10-Point Veterans' Preference), along with a letter for federal employment from the Department of Veterans Affairs indicating your service-connected disability rating.
IF APPLICABLE: An active duty military member's statement of service/certification letter will be accepted in lieu of a DD-214. The statement/certification letter can be obtained from your servicing military personnel office and must be signed by, or by direction of, the adjutant, personnel officer, or commander of your unit or higher headquarters and must indicate your rank, dates of active duty service, and type of discharge/character of service (i.e. honorable). Your preference and/or appointment eligibility will be verified prior to appointment. Military members may be appointed before the effective date of their military separation, if member is on terminal leave, and if applicable, with the appropriate 180-day approved waiver.
APPLICATIONS MUST BE RECEIVED BY 10/16/2018.
Agency contact information
USAF Academy Faculty Staffing Team
5136 Eagle Drive
USAF Academy, CO 80840
Upon vacancy closeout, applicants will be notified via e-mail acknowledging receipt of their application package and advised of the anticipated selection date.
If selected as a semi-finalist or finalist, you will be required to submit the following:
- OFFICIAL copies of your transcripts that also reflect the degree awarded/conferred date. For a transcript to be considered OFFICIAL, it should be printed on university letterhead and the registrar's seal/signature must appear on the transcript. You MUST provide original copies of ALL transcripts for degrees being pursued or obtained (or letter of degree completion if a transcript is not available due to recent graduation) to support your educational claims as stated in your curriculum vitae.
- Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education. Education completed in foreign colleges or universities (e.g. Oxford) may be used to meet requirements, but applicants must obtain a statement of U.S. equivalency from a Department of Education approved (non-federal) credentialing agency (i.e. AICE, NACES), who will complete a U.S. Standard of Education Conversion for education completed in foreign colleges or universities.
- List of three professional references (to include name, complete mailing address, email, and phone number)
Fair & Transparent
The Federal hiring process is setup to be fair and transparent. Please read the following guidance.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
The United States Government does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
Reasonable Accommodation Policy
Federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities where appropriate. Applicants requiring reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process should follow the instructions in the job opportunity announcement. For any part of the remaining hiring process, applicants should contact the hiring agency directly. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
A reasonable accommodation is any change to a job, the work environment, or the way things are usually done that enables an individual with a disability to apply for a job, perform job duties or receive equal access to job benefits.
Under the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodations when:
- An applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to apply for a job.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to perform the essential job duties or to gain access to the workplace.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to receive equal access to benefits, such as details, training, and office-sponsored events.
You can request a reasonable accommodation at any time during the application or hiring process or while on the job. Requests are considered on a case-by-case basis.
Legal and regulatory guidance
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/508158400. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.