The Chief Technology Officer (CTO) position is in the Office of the Chief Information Officer (OCIO), and reports to the Chief Information Officer (CIO). The CTO is responsible for the long-range direction of SBA's technology function. The CTO defines SBA's technical vision and strategy and establishes direction and focus while monitoring and analyzing technological trends to improve and standardize security, programs, products and performance.Learn more about this agency
-Serves as the technical expert for the SBA providing strategic direction and advice on mission and technical issues related to information systems technology.
-Leads the continuous assessment of the current/emerging information management and technology trends in cloud computing, shared services, software intensive systems, global net-centric solutions, open enterprise architecture and methodologies.
-Oversees technology activities including but not limited to: team formulations, conducting technical reviews and recommending solutions to determine the maturity and risk of a program critical technologies and soundness of technical approach.
-Oversees the management of all phases of the system development life cycle for systems and software engineering projects.
-Leads technical reviews to identify and recommend innovative, leading edge technologies, techniques, methodologies, products, and services that may be use to SBA.
25% or less - You may be expected to travel for this position.
Job family (Series)
Conditions of Employment
Applicants must be a U.S. Citizen or U.S. National to apply for this position.
Obtain/Maintain a Top Security/SCI Clearance.
Political appointees may require OPM approval prior to on-boarding.
May be subject to random drug screenings.
You may be required to serve a one-year probationary period.
Male applicants born after 12/31/59, must be registered with the Selective Service.
All qualification requirements must be met by the closing date of the announcement.
QualificationsYou must meet the following requirements by the closing date of this announcement.
As a basic requirement, applicants must demonstrate progressively responsible leadership experience that is indicative of senior level managerial capability and directly related to the skills and abilities outlined under Mandatory Qualifications. Typically, experience of this nature will have been gained at or above the GS-14/15 grade level in the Federal service or its equivalent with state or local government, the private sector, or nongovernmental organizations. Failure to meet basic qualification requirements and all mandatory qualifications listed automatically disqualifies an applicant. Mandatory Technical Qualifications must be addressed separately.
Each applicant is required to submit a comprehensive narrative statement addressing each mandatory qualifications individually. The narrative must demonstrate the necessary level of skills, characteristics, qualities, specialized knowledge, and technical competence that would indicate successful performance in this Senior Level position. This evidence must include clear and concise examples that emphasize the applicant's level of responsibilities, scope, and complexity of assignments, program accomplishments, policy initiatives, and level of contacts. Applicants who fail to provide this narrative statement in the format requested will not be considered.
Applicants must submit a resume. In addition, applicants are required to submit written narratives addressing each of the mandatory technical qualifications (TQs). Narratives should not exceed one (1) page per TQ. Responses must demonstrate possession of the TQs and be supported by your resume. Please provide examples that are clear and concise, emphasize your level of responsibility, scope and complexity of programs managed, accomplishments, sensitivity of issues handled, policy initiatives and level of contacts.
Failure to submit a resume and written narratives addressing each TQ separately, will result in elimination from further consideration.Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community, student, social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
Technical Qualifications (Mandatory):
TQ1. Describe your experience migrating an agency/department or equivalent from an on-premise environment to a cloud-based environment.
TQ2. Describe in detail two examples of how you partnered with a program office or component/bureau, to advance and develop their Information Technology program(s) for the benefit of the agency/department.
TQ3. Describe your experience leading an agency/department's technical modernization and transformation.
TQ4. Describe your experience implementing an agency/departmental level technology roadmap.
This job does not have an education qualification requirement.
1. Veteran's preference applies to this senior level (SL) position.
2. Selectee may be required to serve a one-year probationary period.
3. This position has been designated as CRITICAL requires a security clearance at the TOP SECRET level. The individual will be required to access, process, use, and safeguard classified information. The employee is required to obtain and maintain this clearance level and failure to do so may result in separation from federal service.
To ensure the accomplishment of our mission, SBA requires every employee to be reliable and trustworthy. To meet those standards, this position requires completion and adjudication of a background investigation. This may include a review of financial issues such as delinquency in the payment of debts, child support and/or tax obligations, as well as certain criminal offenses and illegal use or possession of drugs.
If a SECRET or TOP SECRET clearance is needed, all selected candidates must meet the requirements for these clearances prior to placement AND maintain that level of clearance while encumbering the position.
It is our responsibility to eliminate any risks to national security, public health, and public safety that could be posed by individuals who use illegal drugs. This position may be subject to random testing as a condition of employment. A positive drug test or refusal to be tested will result in disciplinary action, up to and including removal from Federal service.
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above. You will be evaluated for this position based upon information reflected in your resume and technical qualification narratives. Your resume and TQ narratives must support your responses to the job specific assessment questionnaire, experience, and/or training. To remain in consideration for this position, please ensure your resume and TQs cover this requirement and that your resume and TQs have been successfully submitted as part of your on-line application package.
Based on the extent and quality of your experience, education and training in relation to the evaluation criteria, you will be placed into one of the following three categories:
- Best Qualified: Applicants possessing a background that demonstrates a superior level of all evaluation criteria.
- Well-Qualified: Applicants possessing a background that demonstrates a satisfactory level of the evaluation criteria.
- Qualified: Applicants possessing the basic qualifications, with general knowledge, skills, and abilities.
Veterans with 5-point preference who meet the eligibility and qualification requirements are placed above non-preference eligibles within the category in which they qualify. Veterans who have a compensable service-connected disability of at least 10% are listed in the best qualified category, except when the position being filled is scientific, professional at the GS-09 grade level or higher. This position is considered scientific/professional. For information on veterans' preference, please click here.
Background checks and security clearance
Drug test required
Applications must include the following:
1. Resume - Not to exceed five (5) pages. Your resume should clearly demonstrate experience that meets the requirements of this position as outlined in the "Qualifications" section.
Please ensure your work history includes ALL of the following information:
- Job Title (include series and grade if Federal Job)
- Duties (be specific in describing your duties)
- Employer's name and address
- Supervisor name and phone number
- Start and end dates including month, day and year (e.g. June 18 2007 to April 05 2008)
- Start and end dates for each grade/pay level if you have held a federal position.
- Full-time or part-time status (include hours worked per week)
3. A complete assessment questionnaire. Responses DO NOT need to be attached as an additional document to your application).
4. Current and former Federal Employees - Submit a copy of your most recent SF-50, Notification of Personnel Action, that indicates Federal status, grade, tenure and type of service. Please remove your social security number and date of birth.
5. Veterans: If you are applying for 5-point Preference, you must submit your DD 214 (Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty) showing your Character of Service. If you are applying for 10-point Preference, you must fill out the SF-15 (click here for the form) and provide the required documentation listed on the back of the form. If applying as a disabled veteran, submit a copy of your DD-214 along with the letter from the Veterans Administration, or other formal documentation, that clearly identifies overall rating of disability. If applying based on eligibility under the Veterans Opportunity to Work (VOW) Act, you must submit certification from the armed forces that you will be discharged or released from active duty within 120 days from the closing date of the announcement. This must indicate your dates of service, your rank, and confirm that you will be separated under honorable conditions. Click here for more veterans' information. You may request a copy of your DD-214 through the E-Benefits Page.
A complete application entails completing the on-line assessment questionnaire, uploading your resume and technical qualifications, and uploading any required supporting documents.
Failure to submit the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement, may result in an ineligible rating or may affect your overall rating.
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding. Learn more about federal benefits.
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
How to Apply
To apply for this position, you must provide a complete application package which includes:
1. Your detailed Federal resume.
2. Mandatory Technical Qualifications narrative statement (1 page single space for each MTQ, any excess pages will not be considered).
3. Supporting documentation, see Required Documents section for more detail.
To begin your online application, Click Apply Online to create a USAJOBS account or log in to your existing account. Follow the prompts to select your USAJOBS resume and/or other supporting documents and complete the online questionnaire.Click the Submit My Answers button to submit your application package.
Please read the following important information to ensure we have everything we need to consider your application:
It is your responsibility to ensure your responses and appropriate documentation is submitted prior to the closing date.
It is your responsibility to verify that information entered, uploaded, sent (i.e. resume, TQs, SF-50s) is received and is accurate by 11:59 PM EST on 08/09/2018. You may complete the assessment questionnaire more than once, but only your most recent submission will be used.
Your resume and technical qualification narratives serve as the basis for qualification determinations and must highlight your most relevant and significant work experience and education (if applicable), as it relates to this job opportunity. Please be clear and specific when describing your work history and writing your technical qualification narratives, as we cannot make assumptions regarding your experience. Your application will also be rated and ranked among others based on your responses to the online assessment questions.
Agency contact information
AddressOffice of the Chief Information Officer
409 3rd Street SW
Washington, DC 20416
Once you submit your application, we will assess your experience and technical qualification narratives, identify the best qualified applicants, and refer those applications to the selecting official for further consideration and a possible interview. We will notify you by email at various stages in the process. Your status will also be updated on USAJOBS throughout the process. To check your status, log on to your USAJOBS account, click on "Application Status," and then click "More Information." If you are selected, we will conduct a suitability/security background investigation.
Fair & Transparent
The Federal hiring process is setup to be fair and transparent. Please read the following guidance.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
The United States Government does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
Reasonable Accommodation Policy
Federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities where appropriate. Applicants requiring reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process should follow the instructions in the job opportunity announcement. For any part of the remaining hiring process, applicants should contact the hiring agency directly. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
A reasonable accommodation is any change to a job, the work environment, or the way things are usually done that enables an individual with a disability to apply for a job, perform job duties or receive equal access to job benefits.
Under the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodations when:
- An applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to apply for a job.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to perform the essential job duties or to gain access to the workplace.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to receive equal access to benefits, such as details, training, and office-sponsored events.
You can request a reasonable accommodation at any time during the application or hiring process or while on the job. Requests are considered on a case-by-case basis.
Legal and regulatory guidance
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/506334000. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.