The mission of the United States Air Force is to fly, fight and win...in air, space and cyberspace. To achieve that mission, the Air Force has a vision of Global Vigilance, Reach and Power. That vision orbits around three core competencies: Developing Airmen, Technology-to-Warfighting and Integrating Operations. Core competencies and distinctive capabilities are based on a shared commitment to three core values -- integrity first, service before self, and excellence in all we do.Learn more about this agency
BASIC DUTY SUMMARY: The Chief Information Security Officer (CISO) reports directly to the Chief, Information Dominance and Chief Information Officer (CIO), Office of the Secretary of the Air Force, Pentagon, Washington, D.C. The CISO directly supports the CIO, who leads four directorates and supports 54,000 cyber operations and support personnel across the globe with a portfolio valued at $17 billion and has overall responsibility of the Air Force's Information Technology portfolio as the senior authority for Information Technology investment strategy, networks and network-centric policies, communications, information resources management, information assurance, and related matters for the Department of the Air Force. The Air Force CISO supports and advises Air Force senior leaders on DoD and Joint Staff cybersecurity and cyber defense matters. The CISO leads and guides Air Force involvement and positions on cybersecurity and cyber defense matters with SAF/HAF staff directors, all Air Force Major Commands, USSTRATCOM/USCYBERCOM and subordinate commands, DISA and DoD CIO, and provides Air Force positions and counsel in DoD governance structures to include the Joint Staff, DoD Chief Information Officer, the DoD Chief Information Security Officer, and Secretary of Defense's Principal Cyber Advisor in the exercise of cybersecurity policy development, planning, resource management, fiscal, and program evaluation responsibilities.
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.
Job family (Series)
Conditions of Employment
- U.S. Citizenship Required
- Recruitment/Relocation Incentive may be offered
- RELOCATION AUTHORIZED: Yes. Payment of Permanent Change of Station (PCS) costs is authorized in accordance with the Joint Travel Regulations (JTR).
- Males must be registered for Selective Service, see www.sss.gov
- Disclosure of Political Appointments
- Mobility is a condition of employment and appointment for SES members will be required to sign a Reassignment Rights and Obligations Agreement.
- EXECUTIVE PERSONNEL FINANCIAL DISCLOSURE REPORT (Standard Form 278). Selected candidate must file this report in accordance with the Ethics in Government Act of 1978.
- This position has been designated Special-Sensitive and the selectee must have or be able to obtain a TOP SECRET/SCI security clearance.
- This is a drug testing designated position. The incumbent is subject to random testing for drug use IAW Exec. Order 12564, dated 14 Sep 86. Position requires that the incumbent sign a Drug Testing letter and pass a urinalysis testing prior to appt.
- Position requires travel under conditions specified in the DoD Joint Travel Regulations. Incumbent is expected to travel on short notice to attend high-level meetings.
- This position may require incumbent to be available for other than normal duty hours to include weekends to support exercises and crisis planning.
- Veterans preference is not applicable to the SES.
- An individual's initial SES career appointment becomes final only after the individual successfully completes a 2-year probationary period.
- Attendance to the AIR FORCE'S SENIOR LEADER ORIENTATION COURSE (SLOC) is generally required within 12 months of appointment, subject to course availability.
- This position may be subject to the post-government employment restrictions of Sections 207(a) and (f) of Title 18, United States Code.
- ACTIVE DUTY MILITARY MEMBERS. On resume, indicate when you are eligible for retirement.
- This position meets the criteria for designation as a National Security Professional (NSP).
- Applicants in receipt of an annuity based on civilian employment in the Federal Service are subject to the DoD Policy on The Employment of Annuitants.
- This position may be required to travel by military and/or commercial aircraft in the performance of assigned tasks.
QualificationsQUALIFICATIONS: Eligibility will be based upon a clear showing the applicant has training, education and experience of the scope and quality sufficient to effectively carry-out the duties of the position. Your conduct and character must demonstrate suitability for the position for which you are applying. Candidates must exemplify the corporate perspective, leadership vision, broad experience and character needed in the SES corps not only to satisfy the immediate vacancy, but future vacancies which will occur in a variety of organizations, functions and locations.
A. MANDATORY TECHNICAL QUALIFICATIONS (TQs): A supplemental statement must be submitted separately addressing each TQ. TQs must provide specific examples that address relevant experience and accomplishments. Applicants should focus on recent experience, education, and training, as some Recruitment Panel and Executive Resources Board members may consider experience that's over 10 years old to be outdated. Applicants must reflect superior technical qualifications demonstrated through leadership and management in the following:
(1) Authoritative implementation of strategic and operational level cybersecurity vision and strategies.
(2) Demonstrated experience in providing high-level coordination with multiple external commands or agencies.
(3) Proven ability to effectively lead large organizations while promoting a positive work environment.
B. MANDATORY EXECUTIVE CORE QUALIFICATIONS (ECQs): The ECQs describe the leadership skills needed to succeed as an SES; they also reinforce the concept of an "SES corporate culture." Submit a supplemental statement of the Executive Core Qualifications (ECQs listed below) in the challenge/context/action/result (C-C-A-R) model format as provided by the Office of Personnel Management (OPM) Guide to SES Qualifications. Applicants should focus on recent experience, education, and training, as some Recruitment Panel, Executive Resources Board, and or OPM Quality Review Board reviewers may consider experience that's over 10 years old to be stale. (OPM's guidance in the Guide to Senior Executive Service Qualifications (Appendix B)). Refer to the OPM Guide to SES Qualifications for specific information and guidance on the ECQ requirements, the C-C-A-R model, and examples of good qualifications statements at the website: https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/senior-executive-service/reference-materials/guidetosesquals_2012.pdf
ECQ 1 - LEADING CHANGE. This core qualification involves the ability to bring about strategic change, both within and outside the organization, to meet organizational goals. Inherent to this ECQ is the ability to establish an organizational vision and to implement it in a continuously changing environment.
ECQ 2 - LEADING PEOPLE. This core qualification involves the ability to lead people toward meeting the organization's vision, mission and goals. Inherent to this ECQ is the ability to provide an inclusive workplace that fosters the development of others, facilitates cooperation and teamwork and supports constructive resolution of conflicts.
ECQ 3 - RESULTS DRIVEN. This core qualification involves the ability to meet organizational goals and customer expectations. Inherent to this ECQ is the ability to make decisions that produce high-quality results by applying technical knowledge, analyzing problems and calculating risks.
ECQ 4 - BUSINESS ACUMEN. This core qualification involves the ability to manage human, financial and information resources strategically.
ECQ 5 - BUILDING COALITIONS. This core qualification involves the ability to build coalitions internally and with other Federal agencies, State and local governments, nonprofit and private sector organizations, foreign governments, or international organizations to achieve common goals.
In addition, DoD requires an Enterprise Perspective. The individual must possess a broad point of view and an awareness and understanding of individual or organizational responsibilities in relation to DoD or government-wide strategic priorities. Executives should demonstrate ability to work with internal and external partners to support national security objectives. This perspective is typically gained through a variety of diverse work experiences. A separate narrative statement is not required--this information should be embedded within the application package (Resume, Technical Qualifications and Executive Core Qualifications).
C. DESIRABLE QUALIFICATIONS: The following will be used to help rate and rank candidates:
(1) Regardless of governmental agency or department, a career broadening assignment complementary of this position is highly desirable. Industry exposure working with enterprise-level cybersecurity implementation project highly desired.
(2) Mix of experience at the following: Major Command (MAJCOM), Combatant Command (CCMD) Service Component, Office of the Secretary of Defense (OSD), Joint Staff, Headquarters Air Force (HAF), other Federal agency or equivalent academic/industry experience.
(3) Completion of Senior Developmental Education and/or equivalent executive development such as Leadership in a Democratic Society, Senior Executive Fellows, National Security Management, Leadership Assessment & Feedback Seminar, Executive Business Management, and/or two equivalent-level executive courses from other colleges, universities, or agencies.
(4) An advanced degree in cybersecurity or IT Management or related field is highly desirable.
Direct Deposit: All federal employees are required to have direct deposit.
If you have questions regarding this announcement and have hearing or speech difficulties click here.
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Applications will be evaluated against the foregoing qualification requirements. Failure to meet any one of the mandatory technical or executive core qualification standards will eliminate a candidate from further consideration. A screening panel will evaluate the candidates for this position composed of a diverse mix of senior executives selected for organizational and/or functional backgrounds relevant to this position. The panel members will individually review each of the applications in terms of the qualifications criteria contained in this announcement. The qualifications stated are the minimum requirements of the position to be Qualified, a rating schedule will be applied by a screening panel to determine which candidates are considered to be Best Qualified. Then, they will meet to discuss each application, and reach a consensus decision as to the best qualified, qualified or not qualified candidates. The panel will interview all of the best-qualified candidates based upon consistently applied criteria. The panel will then make a recommendation of those best-qualified candidates who should be referred to the selecting official, in priority order. Final selection of a candidate is contingent upon the Air Force Executive Resources Board, Secretary of the Air Force and the Office of Personnel Management approval.
Background checks and security clearance
REQUIRED DOCUMENTS FOR THE APPLICATION PACKAGE: To receive full consideration, each applicant must submit the documents in the format as designated. Packages that do not include all of the required documents or meet format requirements will not be forwarded for consideration.
Attachment 1 (Qualifications Documents): Items below (A.-D.) must be submitted as one single, consolidated Microsoft Word document. The Qualifications Documents must be formatted using Times New Roman, size 12 font, with 1-inch margins and must not exceed a total of 21 pages. Do not use borders, provide photos, or list a Social Security Number on any of the Attachment 1 Qualifications Documents. Any applications received that do not include all of the required documents or do not meet format requirements will not be forwarded for consideration.
A. Resume is the preferred format (Limit 4 pages).
B. Mandatory Technical Qualifications Statement addressing each of the TQs (Limit 6 pages).
C. Executive Core Qualifications Statement addressing each of the ECQs (Limit 10 pages); Or, OPM QRB Certification (1 page). (Note: ECQs are not required for current or former Career SES Members who have been certified by the Qualifications Review Board (QRB); please provide a copy of an SF-50 showing career SES status. Candidates who are not current or former Career SES Members but have OPM QRB certification of their ECQs must provide their OPM certificate).
D. Desirable Qualifications Statement briefly addressing each of the DQs (Limit 1 page).
Attachment 2 (Supporting Documents): Items below (E.-I.) must be submitted as one single, consolidated attachment (e.g., scanned document using PDF format). Any applications received that do not include all of the required documents or do not meet format requirements will not be forwarded for consideration.
E. (Required): Most recent Performance Appraisal or Performance Report.
F. (Required): Most recent Notification of Personnel Action, SF-50, noting your current position, grade level and salary level (applies only to current or former civilian government employee).
G. (Optional): College transcript(s) (copy is acceptable).
H. (Optional): Race and National Origin Identification, SF-181 -- Form available at www.opm.gov
I. (Optional): Self-Identification of Handicap, SF-256 -- Form available at www.opm.gov
AF/DPS CONTACT INFORMATION: Questions regarding this announcement may be directed to Rachel Haley at email@example.com / 703-693-0324 (DSN 225) or the DPS office at firstname.lastname@example.org / 703-695-5260 (DSN 225).
This agency provides reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process, please notify this office. The decision on granting reasonable accommodations will be on a case-by-case basis.
SELECTION WILL BE BASED SOLELY UPON MERIT AND QUALIFICATIONS WITHOUT DISCRIMINATION BECAUSE OF RACE, COLOR, CREED, RELIGION, SEX, MARITAL STATUS, DISABILITY, NATIONAL ORIGIN, AGE, POLITICAL AFFILIATION, OR ANY OTHER NON-MERIT FACTORS. THE AIR FORCE IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER.
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding. Learn more about federal benefits.
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
How to Apply
HOW TO APPLY: Please follow the below instructions to submit applications. Any applications received that do not include all of the required documents or do not meet format requirements will not be forwarded for consideration:
- Send an e-mail with the two attachments of the Application Package Requirements to: Rachel Haley at email@example.com AND firstname.lastname@example.org with subject line: AF/DPS 18-25 APPLICANT (YOUR) LAST NAME
- All Applications will be accepted via electronic format only.
-- Label the MSWord document file for Attachment 1 using the applicant's Last name and "Qualifications Documents" (e.g., "Jones Qualifications Documents").
-- Label the scanned document file for Attachment 2 using applicant's Last name and the "Supporting Documents" (e.g., "Jones Supporting Documents").
- DO NOT submit any additional information, documents or attachments: Extraneous materials such as: copies of position descriptions, diplomas, promotion recommendation forms (PRFs), award certificates, transcripts, or letters of recommendation will not be considered or forwarded for review.
RESUME FORMAT (*Limit 4 pages*)
APPLICATION/RESUME: Please submit a typewritten resume, including ALL the following information:
Job Information: Announcement number (AF/DPS 18-25) and title of the job to which you're applying.
Personal Information: Full name, mailing address (with Zip Code), day and evening phone numbers (with area code) and complete e-mail address where you would like to receive correspondence regarding your application. **PLEASE DO NOT INCLUDE SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER**
Country of Citizenship:
Current Security Clearance:
Federal Civilian: State highest grade held and date of promotion (e.g., GS-15/June 2006).
Active-Duty Military: State highest rank held, date of promotion and date eligible to retire (e.g., Colonel/June 2006/December 2014).
Retired Military: State highest rank held and date of retirement (e.g., Colonel/May 2008).
Education: Educational information, including the name, city and state of colleges or universities you attended, as well as the type and year of any degree received. Report only attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education. For more information, you may refer to the following U.S. Department of Education website: http://www.ed.gov/admins/finaid/accred/index.html
Work Experience: Give the following information for your paid and non-paid work experience related to the job for which you are applying: (Do not send job descriptions.)
- Starting and ending dates (month and year)
- Job title (for government position, include civilian series and grade or military rank)
- Employer's name and address
- Supervisor's name and phone number *Indicate if we may contact your current supervisor
- Salary (current)
- Hours per week
- Number of employees supervised and/or scope of responsibility of employees led
- Duties and accomplishments (summarized in one paragraph)
*Applicants should focus on recent experience, education, and training, as some Recruitment Panel, Executive Resources Board, and or OPM Quality Review Board reviewers may consider experience that's over 10 years old to be stale.
- Job-related training courses (title and year)
- Job-related skills, for example, other languages and computer software/hardware
- Job-related certificates and licenses (current only)
- Job-related honors, awards and special accomplishments, for example, publications, memberships in professional or honor societies, leadership activities, public speaking and performance awards (give dates but do not send documents unless requested).
Publications: Provide a list of publications you have authored. Provide title, date and any co-authors, clearly indicate if you are the first author and state the impact of any publication on the community.
References: Provide the names, addresses and telephone numbers of three individuals who can comment on your qualifications for this position. Please do not list supervisors already listed above.
- To be considered, AF/DPS must RECEIVE all Application Packages in their entirety via email by 11:59 PM (Eastern) of the CLOSING DATE listed at the top of this vacancy announcement.
- Confirmation of receipt will be provided via e-mail within 3 days of receiving an application. If you do not receive confirmation of receipt, please call the AF/DPS office.
Agency contact information
AddressAF Senior Executive Management
1040 Air Force Pentagon Room 4D
Washington, DC 20330
Once your application package is received an acknowledgement email will be sent.
Fair & Transparent
The Federal hiring process is setup to be fair and transparent. Please read the following guidance.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
The United States Government does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
Reasonable Accommodation Policy
Federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities where appropriate. Applicants requiring reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process should follow the instructions in the job opportunity announcement. For any part of the remaining hiring process, applicants should contact the hiring agency directly. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
A reasonable accommodation is any change to a job, the work environment, or the way things are usually done that enables an individual with a disability to apply for a job, perform job duties or receive equal access to job benefits.
Under the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodations when:
- An applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to apply for a job.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to perform the essential job duties or to gain access to the workplace.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to receive equal access to benefits, such as details, training, and office-sponsored events.
You can request a reasonable accommodation at any time during the application or hiring process or while on the job. Requests are considered on a case-by-case basis.
Legal and regulatory guidance
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/505707100. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.