This position is located in the National Weather Service (NWS), National Centers for Environmental Prediction (NCEP), Aviation Weather Center (AWC) and is for one vacancy located in Kansas City, MO.
If you are selected for a position with further promotion potential, you may be non-competitively promoted if you perform successfully and if recommended by management.
This position is also announced under vacancy number NWS-NCEP-2018-0078, which is open to status candidates. You must apply to both announcements if you want to be considered for both.
*A one year probationary period may be required.
*Payment of relocation expenses is not authorized.
*This position is not in the bargaining unit.Learn more about this agency
This Job Opportunity Announcement may be used to fill other Meteorologist (Science and Operations Officer), GS-1340-13/14 positions throughout NOAA. The position must be alike (e.g.: within the same geographic locations, same grade/band and requires the same qualifications and specialized experience as indicated in this vacancy announcement).
As a Science and Operations Officer, you will perform the following duties:
- Coordinate and consult with scientists in the NWS, NOAA, other agencies, academia, and the private sector to identify and/or develop opportunities for enhanced forecast procedures and techniques to use at the center.
- Oversee the transfer of new technologies from the research community to the operational environment.
- Evaluate the technical and scientific adequacy of all center hydrometeorological products and services by conducting a product verification effort targeted to improving the scientific basis of products.
- Serve as a Senior Forecaster by reviewing, developing, and approving forecast, warning, service products on shift duty.
- Develop and facilitate necessary training and professional development activities to enhance staff proficiency.
These duties are described at the FPL GS-14, the GS-13 is developmental leading to such performance.
25% or less - 20% of domestic travel may be required.
Who May Apply
This job is open to…* All qualified United States Citizens or Nationals;
* CTAP/ICTAP eligibles.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/504786400. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.