This position is located in the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA), Agricultural Research Service (ARS), National Agricultural Library (NAL), Data Production Division, Indexing and Informatics Branch, located in Beltsville, Maryland.
The Indexing and Informatics Branch is responsible for administering programs for the indexing of content in agriculture and the related sciences from sources from around the world. Following NAL processing priorities and standards, the Branch creates records for the AGRICOLA database. The Branch creates, expands, and maintains the NALT of Agricultural terms.
The incumbent serves as the Chief of the Indexing and Informatics Branch, and is responsible for policy making, planning, directing and evaluating program requirements, activities, and functions of the indexing and NALT programs.Learn more about this agency
Major Duties may include, but are not limited to:
- Researching organization programs and audiences to serve a library’s departmental and national responsibilities as a premier resource for scientific information.
- Providing leadership and guidance to the application of advanced artificial intelligence systems that utilize computational linguistics to generate a comprehensive index of agricultural or scientific literature.
- Designing and developing technical systems for monitoring and evaluating the quality and quantity of items indexed.
- Directing and supervising the activities of library staff members involved in index automation or thesaurus/terminology programs.
- Collaborating with library or agricultural community staff members to deliver integrated and advanced information products that support scientific discovery.
- Serving as a technical advisor to outline and explain internal indexing and informatics programs and services to public audiences
Occasional travel - Less than 25%
Who May Apply
This job is open to…US Citizens and Nationals; no prior Federal experience is required.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/504725500. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.