This position is part of the Organization of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, Directorate of Management, Editorial and Actions Processing Branch. The incumbent will serve as a WRITER-EDITOR.Learn more about this agency
As a WRITER-EDITOR at the GS-1082-11/12/13 some of your typical work assignments may include:
- Interacting with senior DoD and non-DoD leaders to develop written, standard correspondence on behalf of the Joint Staff.
- Collaborating with support staffs, action officers, executive assistants, military secretariats and other offices to develop, write, edit, format, process, design, and prepare written correspondence.
- Writing, rewriting, reviewing and processing error-free, logical, clear, complete and executive-level correspondence with little-to-no advanced notice.
- Analyzing and selecting facts drawn from different sources, to include the Joint Staff Action Processing (JSAP)-Next tasks management and records retention system to present clear, concise and complete communications.
- Providing Joint Staff Directorates and action officers with technical advice and assistance necessary to support the CJCS' role as the principal military advisor to the nation's leaders.
- Establishing, publishing, instructing the staff and enforcing rules governing the preparation, review, and signature of all manner of items processed by the Joint Staff.
- Assisting in the development of formal training materials, exercises, and curriculum on effective writing, responsive writing, plain writing, and communications for presentation to Joint Staff personnel.
- Assisting with research, writing, editing and coordinating clear, vivid prose for informational materials designed to communicate the Secretary of Defense, CJCS, VCJCS, DJS, VDJS and other defense leaders' position on a variety of national security topics.
- Assisting subject matter experts (SMEs) and action officers with obtaining coordination from a variety of stakeholders on drafts and final written products.
- Serving as a team leader or process owner, as required, which requires coordination of the AD's editing and action assignment activities across the Joint Staff.
- Reviewing and analyzing all incoming correspondence to determine information or action desired, by whom, and for what purposed-constantly alert to identify items of special significance or unusual sensitivity, which need prior coordination with supervisors before assignment or release.
- Ensuring information is controlled, retained, stored and can be located using logical search terms.
- Editing Joint Staff correspondence to ensure clarity, brevity, accuracy and compliance with the Plain Writing Act of 2010.
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/504625900. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.