Vacant research positions may be filled at one of several grade levels depending upon the scientific impact of the person selected. For this reason, you are encouraged to apply at all grade levels. A peer review will be required for selections made at grades GS-13 and above and the selectee will be required to submit supplemental materials.
Research scientists have open-ended promotion potential. Research accomplishments and their impact on the duties and responsibilities of positions are evaluated periodically. The grade level is limited only by the individual's demonstrated ability to perform research of recognized importance to science and technology. *Final grade level may be determined by a peer review panel.Learn more about this agency
The Honey Bee Breeding, Genetics, and Physiology Research Unit located in Baton Rouge, LA, is seeking a permanent, full-time Research Geneticist. The Unit has a wide-ranging basic and applied program in breeding, genetics, reproduction, ecology, behavior, mating technology, genetic and environmental management of honey bees, and control of parasitic mites. The mission is to improve honey bee health in support of U.S. agricultural production. The incumbent will perform independent research and provide leadership of scientific activities associated with the genetic and genomic aspects of the mission of the laboratory.
- Identifies honey bee populations and genomic variants associated with enhanced colony productivity and with resilience to health threats;
- Contributes to translating fundamental research into improved honey bees that are released to beekeeping industry;
- Develops and evaluates selection based on genomic, proteomic or other molecular markers as a potential means to increase breeding efficiency of honey bees; and
- Evaluates strategies to conserve genetic diversity in contemporary queen breeding programs; or
- Evaluates and enhances genetic mechanisms or genomic interactions in support of honey bee conservation and breeding.
Occasional travel - To professional meetings and worksites.
Who May Apply
This job is open to…
US Citizens and Nationals; no prior Federal experience is required.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/504459600. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.