About the Position: This position has vacancies in 3 different locations within the US Army Corp of Engineers Baltimore District. The locations are in Baltimore, MD; Mobile, AL; and Omaha, NE. The Baltimore District is located in the City Crescent Building in downtown Baltimore and is adjacent to Baltimore's Inner Harbor, and within walking distance of famous Lexington Market. The Baltimore area is home of several universities, world-class medical facilities and numerous cultural attractions.Learn more about this agency
- Serves as a Drill Rig Operator (MVO) WG-5729-08 working closely with a higher graded operator to develop skills, knowledge, and experience to achieve the competence level of a journeyman drill rig operator.
- Safely operates all vehicles necessary for the accomplishment of any drilling assignment in both on-road and off-road situations. Many of these vehicles require a commercial driver's license (CDL) to be operated.
- Occasionally operates specialty equipment such as a forklift or tractor mounted backhoe in day-to-day activities. Assists with or safely operates widely varying types of drill rigs.
- Learns to select the most appropriate rig(s) to successfully accomplish the assigned work, given the requirements of the mission.
- Helps to assess drill site access addressing any safety concerns (sloping terrain, confined space, etc.), logistical concerns (urban vs. remote) and any modifications (cribbing, grading, etc.) that are necessary for the completion of assigned work.
- Site access is occasionally from a barge, all-terrain vehicle, or from a manmade structure (i.e. tunnels, galleries, etc.).
- Assists with or oversees the construction of cribbing, Hazardous, Toxic, Radiological Waste (HTRW) decontamination areas, and staging areas at drilling locations ensuring safe and proper procedures are followed.
- Assists with or conducts drilling operations in a variety of climatic conditions (i.e. very hot, very cold, wet, etc.).
- Aware of safety concerns regarding weather conditions such as lightning, rain, ice, etc., and takes appropriate actions when these conditions exist.
- Ensures proper safety procedures are known and safety equipment is available.
- Identifies safety-related deficiencies and brings these deficiencies to the attention of the appropriate personnel achieve the competence level of a journeyman drill rig operator.
76% or greater - 70-100 Percent Business Travel
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/504334600. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.