This position serves as a senior public health advisor and provides consultative services and performs difficult public health assignments that affect populations in local, state, Federal, and international settings.Learn more about this agency
As a Public Health Advisor you will:
- Plan, develop and implement public health programs in collaboration with local, state, other Federal and/or international governments and various health-related organizations.
- Coordinate the development of information and educational materials on public health.
- Analyze existing or proposed systems, services, or other health-related matters to identify needs for improvement as well as methods and resources to accomplish.
- Review congressional and legislative actions and assess impact on public health programs.
- Prepare reports and other substantial documents on research findings and scientific methodologies.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel domestically 10% of the time or this position.
Job family (Series)
Conditions of Employment
- US Citizenship is required.
- Background Investigation is required.
- E-Verify: If you are selected for this position, the documentation that you present for purposes of completing the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) Form I-9 will be verified through the DHS "E-Verify" System. Federal law requires DHS to use the E-Verify System to verify employment eligibility of all new hires, and as a condition of continued employment obligates the new hire to take affirmative steps to resolve any discrepancies identified by the system. The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services is an E-Verify Participant.
- Direct Deposit: All Federal employees are required to have Federal salary payments made by direct deposit to a financial institution of their choosing.
- All qualification requirements must be met by the closing date of the announcement.
- One-year probationary period may be required.
- Travel, transportation, and moving expenses will be paid: May be Authorized
- Bargaining Unit Position: No
- Drug Screening Required: No
- Recruitment Incentive may be authorized: May be Authorized
- Annual Leave for non-federal service may be authorized: May be Authorized
- Research position: No
- Promotion potential: None
- Supervisory position: No
QualificationsMinimum Qualifications GS-685-13:
Applicants must have at least one year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the GS-12 grade level in the Federal service as defined in the next paragraph.
Specialized experience is experience which is directly related to the position which has equipped the applicant with the particular knowledge, skills and abilities (KSAs) to successfully perform the duties of the position to include experience in leading, evaluating and providing technical assistance on public health programs.
This announcement is being used to create an inventory of applicants and will be used to fill immediate and future needs.
Although this announcement is advertised for multiple duty locations, it is not intended to convey any implication nor expectation that positions will be filled at all locations.
Applicants are encouraged to apply early in order to maximize their employment opportunities. Your application will remain in the inventory of tentatively qualified applicants. Applicants that are among the best qualified will be referred to the selecting official for consideration as requests to fill vacancies are processed by the Human Resources Office.
This announcement is being amended to fill some vacancies in support of OPM's Direct Hire Authority for the OPIOID Public Health Emergency Response positions.
Veterans' preference and traditional rating and ranking of applicants does not apply to positions filled under this direct hire appointing authority.
Term Appointments are non-status appointments to the competitive service that can be made for a specified period of time exceeding one year and lasting no more than 4 years based on the needs of the agency without further competition. Subsequent employment for CDC positions must be through the appropriate competitive process or special employment program hiring authorities.
Some positions will be filled as permanent appointments from this announcement.
This is an Open and Continuous Announcement for 90 days for potential vacancies in support of the OPIOID initiative. Vacancies will be filled with qualified applicants in various locations throughout the US as outlined in this announcement. The initial cutoff for any current vacancies is July 16, 2018. Subsequent cutoff dates will be midnight on the date a referral list is requested. Applications received after this initial cutoff date will be considered on future requests to fill vacancies until the closing date of this announcement.
This position is exempt from the HHS hiring freeze pursuant to HHS guidance.
This vacancy is also being announced concurrently with vacancy announcement HHS-CDC-M2-18-10251420 under merit promotion procedures. Please review that announcement to see if you are eligible for consideration under merit promotion procedures. NOTE: Applicants must apply separately for each announcement in order to be considered.
PHS Commissioned Corps Officers interested in performing the duties of this position within the Commissioned Corps (not as a career/career-conditional employee) are encouraged to apply under the merit promotion announcement indicated above.
Additional selections may be made within the same geographical locations CDC-wide.
Positions may be filled from within this open continuous vacancy announcement within any CDC organization. This announcement will be used to fill positions in various geographic locations HHS-wide.
If you are a veteran with preference eligibility and you are claiming 5-points veterans' preference, you must submit a copy of your DD-214 or other proof of eligibility. If you are claiming 10-point veterans' preference, you must also submit an SF-15, "Application for 10-Point Veterans' Preference" plus the proof required by that form.
For more information on veterans' preference see http://www.fedshirevets.gov/job/vetpref/index.aspx.
Males born after December 31, 1959 must be registered or exempt from Selective Service (see http://www.sss.gov). For information on "People with Disabilities" please visit http://opm.gov/disability/PeopleWithDisabilities.asp
To view the questionnaire, click on the following link:
If you are unable to apply online or need to fax a document(s), view the following link for information regarding an Alternate Application.
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Some vacancies will be filled through OPM's Direct Hire Authority. Veterans' preference and traditional rating and ranking of applicants do not apply to positions filled under this direct hire authority. Applicants who meet the minimum qualification requirements will be forwarded to the selecting official for consideration. Applications received as a result of job fairs, recruitment events, and emergency hiring mechanisms in support of this hiring initiative will also be accepted during the duration of the direct-hire authority. For more information on OPM's authorization of Direct Hire Authority, please visit http://www.opm.gov/employ/direct_hire/index.asp.
Your qualifications will be evaluated on the following competencies (knowledge, skills, abilities and other characteristics).
- Acquisition and Grants Management
- Collaboration / Partnering
- Data Synthesis
- Financial Management (2)
- Networking and Partnership Development (2)
- Oral Communication
- Problem Solving
- Program Assessment
- Program Planning and Development
- Project Management (2)
- Public Health Information Dissemination
- Public Health Knowledge
- Team Building
- Technical Credibility
- Technology Management
- Written Communication
Background checks and security clearance
Drug test required
To apply for this position, you must submit a complete Application Package which includes:
1. Cover Letter (optional)
2. Your résumé showing work schedule, hours worked per week, dates of employment and duties performed
3. Veterans' Preference documentation, if applicable (e.g., DD-214 Member Copy 4 showing type of discharge/character of service, SF-15 Form and related documentation, VA letter, etc.)
4. Schedule A Eligibility Letter if you are applying as a Schedule A candidate
Failure to submit any of the above mentioned required documents may result in loss of consideration due to an incomplete application package. It is your responsibility to ensure all required documents have been submitted.
For Résumé and Application Tips visit: https://help.usajobs.gov/index.php/Tips.
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding. Learn more about federal benefits.
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
How to Apply
To apply for this position, you must complete the online application and submit the documentation specified in the Required Documents section.
A complete application package must be submitted by 11:59 PM (EST) on10/03/2018 of this announcement to receive consideration.
- To begin, click Apply to access the online application. You will need to be logged into your USAJOBS account to apply. If you do not have a USAJOBS account, you will need to create one before beginning the application.
- Follow the prompts to select your résumé and/or other supporting documents to be included with your application package. You will have the opportunity to upload additional documents to include in your application before it is submitted. Your uploaded documents may take several hours to clear the virus scan process.
- After acknowledging you have reviewed your application package, complete the Include Personal Information section as you deem appropriate and click to continue with the application process.
- You will be taken to the online application which you must complete in order to apply for the position. Complete the online application, verify the required documentation is included with your application package, and submit the application.
If you cannot apply online:
You are encouraged to apply online. If you are unable to apply online, please use the Alternate Application link listed in the Additional Information section of this vacancy announcement. Applicants are strongly encouraged to apply online if at all possible. Applying online, through your USAJOBS account, will expedite the application process and allow you to check your application. If you utilize the Alternate Application method, your USAJOBS account will not display this application and you will not receive status updates.
Agency contact information
1600 Clifton Road NE
Atlanta, GA 30333
Once the online questionnaire is received you will receive an acknowledgement email that your submission was successful. The most highly qualified candidates will be referred to the hiring manager for further consideration and possible interview. We expect to make a selection within 45 days of the closing date of this announcement.
You will receive notice via email once this process is completed (generally 4-6 weeks).
Fair & Transparent
The Federal hiring process is setup to be fair and transparent. Please read the following guidance.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
The United States Government does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
Reasonable Accommodation Policy
Federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities where appropriate. Applicants requiring reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process should follow the instructions in the job opportunity announcement. For any part of the remaining hiring process, applicants should contact the hiring agency directly. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
A reasonable accommodation is any change to a job, the work environment, or the way things are usually done that enables an individual with a disability to apply for a job, perform job duties or receive equal access to job benefits.
Under the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodations when:
- An applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to apply for a job.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to perform the essential job duties or to gain access to the workplace.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to receive equal access to benefits, such as details, training, and office-sponsored events.
You can request a reasonable accommodation at any time during the application or hiring process or while on the job. Requests are considered on a case-by-case basis.
Legal and regulatory guidance
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/504027400. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.