THIS ANNOUNCEMENT HAS BEEN AMENDED TO EXTEND THE CLOSING DATE TO FRIDAY, JULY 20, 2018.
Come work for the USPTO, we have been ranked as one of the Best Places to Work in the Federal Government®!
The U.S. Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) has been serving the economic interests of America for more than 200 years. We are responsible for granting US intellectual property rights for patents and trademarks. Our efforts have provided inventors exclusive rights over their discoveries. It's an effort that continues to contribute to a strong global economy, to encourage investment in innovation and to cultivate an entrepreneurial spirit for the 21st century. The USPTO is headquartered in Alexandria, Virginia, and has over 12,000 employees, including engineers, scientists, attorneys, analysts, IT specialists, etc. all dedicated to accomplishing the USPTO’s mission, vision, strategic goals and guiding principles. For more information about the USPTO, please visit the USPTO Careers Website.
This position is located in the Office of the Chief Technology Officer (CTO) within the Enterprise Data Architecture Division (EDAD). EDAD provides the analysis, decision support, and data architecture that deliver practical, timely, and cost effective solutions for our customers and the agency. The EDAD leads the data architectural designs and creation of associated artifacts for new projects, as well as, existing Automated Information System (AIS) enhancement projects that comprise significant architectural design impacts. For all other projects, the EDAD reviews the data architecture designs, along with the applicable sections of solution architecture documents to ensure compliance with USPTO data architectural standards and direction, as well as, FEA guidance and provide comments and recommendations.
- A probationary period may be required
This position is also being announced under the USPTO’s Merit Promotion Program, the Job Announcement Number is CIO-2018-0113. Please review that announcement to determine if you are eligible for consideration under the Merit Promotion Program.Learn more about this agency
The following links provide information on various hiring authorities that do not fall under competitive examining procedures as this announcement; however, they may enable you to apply through merit assignment procedures, or be eligible for a non-competitive appointment.
This position serves as a skilled Data Architect in the Enterprise Data Branch, and is a technical specialist in either eXtensible Markup Language (XML) or Data Modeling and Database Design.
The incumbent will:
- Create or review and approve XML Resources (i.e., Document Type Definitions (DTDs), XML Schemas Definitions, and Web Services Description Language (WSDL)) using USPTO approved tools, techniques, and standards and reusing applicable XML standard structures.
- Establish foundational XML resources for business areas to supports Enterprise XML Standardization at USPTO and internationally.
- Conduct tests and evaluate XML-related technologies to support USPTO projects.
- Create or review and approve data models (logical) and database designs (physical) using USPTO approved tools, techniques, and standards and reuses applicable standard data structures from the Enterprise Data Model or from the Standard Data Element.
- Assist in standardizing and managing data elements, which may include working with multiple resources to achieve commonly defined and shareable data, as well as proposing and drafting data elements for standardization.
- Develop and maintain a formal description of the data and data structures, which will include data models, and eXtensible Markup Language (XML) Resources (DTDs, XML Schemas Definitions, and WSDL) and may include data flow diagrams and interface diagrams. Provide technical data architecture guidance to system developers.
- Create and maintain data architecture artifacts that support IT solutions.
Who May Apply
This job is open to…Applications will be accepted from all United States Citizens and Nationals.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/503996100. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.