You will be expected to work year-round at the duty location listed on this job announcement. During the school year part-time hours will apply; however, during school breaks and the summer period, full-time hours may apply. The work schedule may be adjusted to meet the needs of the student's schedule.
In order to be eligible to receive consideration for this position, you must be able to: (1) report to the duty station location listed in this vacancy announcement, if selected; and (2) be available to work the schedule identified.
Salary Note: $17.78 (Step 01) to $23.12 (Step 10); New employees to the Federal Government are typically hired at the Step 01.
This position is intended for current students who expect to be enrolled for at least the next year while you complete your degree requirements.
You must meet and maintain the following eligibility requirements throughout the duration of your appointment under the Pathways Internship Program:
- You must be enrolled in a degree or certificate program on a full- or half-time basis as defined by the school (certificate program means post-secondary education, in a qualifying educational institution, equivalent to at least one academic year of fulltime study that is part of an accredited college-level, technical, trade, vocational, or business school curriculum); AND
- Enrollment is with a qualifying educational institution such as a high school or state-approved homeschool; or accredited technical or vocational school; a 2- or 4-year college or university; a graduate or professional school (e.g., law school, medical school); or a post-secondary home school curriculum; AND
- Students currently enrolled must be in good academic standing maintaining a 2.0 grade point average on a cumulative basis; AND
- The duties of this position should be related to your academic or career goals.
The USGS National Geospatial Program (NGP) serves as the Nation’s civilian mapping agency through the ongoing development and management of The National Map. The National Map is a collaborative effort among the USGS and other Federal, State, and local partners to improve and deliver topographic information for the Nation. This position is located in NGP's Topographic Data Services (TDS) team that oversees the 3D Elevation Program (3DEP) and the National Hydrography Datasets (NHD). The TDS team is seeking a student intern to help develop communication materials, analyze geographic information, produce maps, and support special events.
The USGS National Geospatial Program is seeking graduate level students working towards a degree in geography, geology, meteorology, economics, statistics, sociology, anthropology, political science, history, cartography, computer science, urban studies, or planning to gain practical experience in geography.
As a Student Trainee (Geography) you will serve in a trainee capacity, performing routine and recurring development assignments to acquire knowledge and understanding of functions, principles, practices, and methods used in the area of geography.
- Using geographic concepts, tools, and systems to populate, review and update databases and geographic products.
- Recording, mapping, and plotting geospatial data, including remotely sensed data, to display and analyze using Geographic Information Systems (GIS) or other sensing instruments for monitoring temporal and/or spatial changes.
- Using standard office software programs to track projects, assisting in documentation and archival of data, developing reports and presentations, and communicating project status.
Who May Apply
This job is open to…All qualified students who are U.S. citizens and meet the eligibility requirements for the Pathways Internship Program as described under "Eligibility Requirements."
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/503580300. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.