When disaster strikes, America looks to FEMA. Now FEMA looks to you. Join our team and use your talent to support Americans in their times of greatest need. The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) prepares the nation for all hazards and manages Federal response and recovery efforts following any national incident. We foster innovation, reward performance and creativity, and provide challenges on a routine basis with a well-skilled, knowledgeable, high performance workforce. Please visit www.fema.gov for additional information.Learn more about this agency
The Chief Information Officer will provide executive-level direction to and oversight of assigned administrative and agency support functions in direct support of all Agency organizations. Principal responsibilities include the direction and management of all programs assigned to the Office of the Chief Information Officer (OCIO), including responsibility for the design, operations, maintenance, and integration of a complex range of information systems to support FEMA’s mission.
EMERGENCY ASSIGNMENT: Every FEMA employee has regular and recurring emergency management responsibilities, though not every position requires routine deployment to disaster sites. All positions are subject to recall around the clock for emergency management operations, which may require irregular work hours, work at locations other than the official duty station, and may include duties other than those specified in the employee's official position description. Travel requirements in support of emergency operations may be extensive in nature (weeks to months), with little advance notice, and may require employees to relocate to emergency sites with physically austere and operationally challenging conditions.
Major duties include:
- Oversees all FEMA information systems from planning, budgeting, development, security, and operations in order to ensure compliance with the requirements of the Clinger-Cohen Act of 1996; Federal Information Security Management Act of 2002; Federal Information Technology Acquisition Reform Act of 2015; President’s Management Agenda; and other applicable statutes, regulations, guidance, and directives from Office of Management and Budget (OMB), the National Institute for Standards and Technology, DHS, and the Administrator of FEMA.
- Participates in the coordination and integration of policies, guidelines, procedures and activities to ensure effective, efficient, secure and economical information management planning, acquisition, and management to support FEMA’s mission and objectives.
- Manages all FEMA information systems from planning, budgeting, investments, life cycle management, information technology security, development, operations, and retirement of systems, in order to ensure compliance with relevant statutes, regulations, guidance, and directives.
- Centrally manages and guides the development of new and improved information systems from concept development through acquisition and test to ensure the endurance and operations capability of civil government during all types of emergencies. Recommends policies and activities to assure maximum system and equipment capabilities, information security, and application of state-of-the-art technology to satisfy FEMA information system mission requirements.
- Determines policy guidance for the development, implementation, and maintenance of operating systems for updating, retrieving and validating databases containing information on a wide variety of resources, FEMA programs and associated geographic data for presentation of unified, valid data and analyses upon which higher management can make decisions effecting Agency programs, priorities and operations.
Occasional travel - This position may require occasional non-emergency travel.
Who May Apply
This job is open to…
- All Qualified U.S. citizens.
- View common definitions of terms found in this announcement.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/502509000. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.