As a Mathematical Statistician you will provide statistical consultation to and collaboration with scientists within the Institute and will be responsible for selecting and implementing appropriate methods of data collection, summary, and analysis.Learn more about this agency
- Provide statistical consultation to and collaboration with scientists within the Institute.
- Implement appropriate methods of data collection, summary, and analysis to scientists in the Institute.
- Apply a variety of statistical techniques such as analysis of variance, probability, time series analysis, regression analysis, etc.
- Develop and perform mathematical analysis to indicate trends, the likelihood of various outcomes, performance levels, and ideal conditions.
- Serve as a resource for staff by providing advice on statistical aspects of research studies.
- Select and apply the application of appropriate statistical analysis and data processing software related to the assigned duties and to the work of other staff members.
- Prepare reports as required on the progress of assigned projects to include documentation of methods of analysis, computer programs developed, and the results of the analyses.
- Participate in meetings of conferences of professional societies by attendance and presentation of papers; serve as a representative of the Institute for the exchange of information in the field.
- Use R, Python, and SQL to perform statistical analyses.
- Assist NIGMS to create machine learning algorithms using stochastic gradient decent, k-means clustering, GLM, and support vector machines among other techniques.
- Assist NIGMS to create machine learning algorithms using stochastic gradient decent, k-means clustering, GLM, and support vector machines among other techniques.
Job family (Series)
Conditions of Employment
- U.S. Citizenship requirement or proof of being a U.S. National must be met by closing date.
- Position is subject to a background investigation.
- Position requires Education.
- Applicants must meet all qualification requirements by the closing date of this announcement.
- Males born after December 31, 1959 must be registered with the Selective Service.
QualificationsTo qualify for a Mathematical Statistician, GS-1529, you must:
A. have a degree that included 24 semester hours of mathematics and statistics (of which at least 12 semester hours were in mathematics and 6 semester hours were in statistics). Courses acceptable toward meeting the mathematics course requirement must have included at least four of the following: differential calculus, integral calculus, advanced calculus, theory of equations, vector analysis, advanced algebra, linear algebra, mathematical logic, differential equations, or any other advanced course in mathematics for which one of these was a prerequisite. Courses in mathematical statistics or probability theory with a prerequisite of elementary calculus or more advanced courses will be accepted toward meeting the mathematics requirements, with the provision that the same course cannot be counted toward both the mathematics and the statistics requirement; OR
B. have a combination of education and experience -- courses as shown in A above, plus appropriate experience or additional education. The experience should have included a full range of professional statistical work such as (a) sampling, (b) collecting, computing, and analyzing statistical data, and (c) applying statistical techniques such as measurement of central tendency, dispersion, skewness, sampling error, simple and multiple correlation, analysis of variance, and tests of significance.
In addition, in order to qualify for a Mathematical Statistician at the GS-12 level, you must:
have one year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the GS-11 level in the Federal service obtained in either the private or public sector, performing the following types of tasks: researching, planning, and implementing mathematical statistical projects that involve developing new or modifying existing sampling, surveying and design methods; developing statistical standards to evaluate data quality; performing mathematical statistical analysis through the use of statistical software (e.g., MATLAB, R, SAS, SPSS) to indicate trends, outcomes, performance levels, and ideal conditions; developing aspects of survey and sampling designs that ensure continuity between data collection and analysis of data; and, writing methodological or technical reports of substantive survey findings for publication or presentation.
In addition, in order to qualify for a Mathematical Statistician at the GS-13 level, you must:
have one year of specialized experience equivalent to the GS-12 level in the Federal service obtained in either the private or public sector, performing the following types of tasks: formulating, planning and executing statistical projects based on biomedical research; determining and modifying the appropriate statistical models for use in evaluating laboratory and clinical data; using statistical computing packages and computer programming software (e.g., MATLAB, R, SAS, SPSS) to analyze statistical biomedical research data; and, preparing methodological and statistical reports of biomedical research studies for publication in scientific journals or presentation at conferences.
Preview assessment questionnaire before you apply: https://apply.usastaffing.gov/ViewQuestionnaire/10234266
This position has an education requirement. You are strongly encouraged to submit a copy of your transcripts (or a list of your courses including titles, credit hours completed and grades). Unofficial transcripts will be accepted in the application package. Official transcripts will be required from all selectees prior to receiving an official offer. Click here for information on Foreign Education.
- - A one-year probationary period may be required upon selection/placement
- -If selected, you will be required to complete a Confidential Financial Disclosure Report, OGE Form 450 to determine if a conflict or an appearance of a conflict exists between your financial interest and your prospective position with the agency. This information is required annually. For information, visit the NIH Ethics website: https://ethics.od.nih.gov/topics/fd.htm.
- -NIH Emergency Employee Designation: Tier II non-emergency/teleworker.
- - PHS Commissioned Officers interested in performing the duties of this position within the Commissioned Corps should also apply online to this announcement in order to receive consideration.
- - We may make additional selections for similar positions within the commuting area(s) of the locations listed through this vacancy announcement.
- - The National Institutes of Health participates in the USCIS Electronic Employment Eligibility Verification Program (E-Verify). E-Verify helps employers determine employment eligibility of new hires and the validity of their Social Security numbers.
- - The NIH maintains a tobacco free work environment and campus.
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
If you meet the minimum qualifications for this position, your application and responses to the online questionnaire will be evaluated under Category Rating and Selection procedures for placement in one of the following categories:
- - Best Qualified - for those who are superior in the evaluation criteria
- - Well Qualified - for those who excel in the evaluation criteria
- - Qualified - for those who only meet the minimum qualification requirements
To be considered well qualified for the purposes of the Career Transition Assistance Program (CTAP) and the Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP), you must substantively exceed the basic qualifications by scoring at least an 85 on the assessment and meet all eligibility, physical, medical, suitability, and any other requirements.
Background checks and security clearance
REQUIRED FOR ALL APPLICANTS
Your resume must thoroughly describe how your skills and experiences align to the criteria defined in the "Qualifications" section of this announcement and it must support your responses to the assessment questionnaire. We cannot assume you have performed the necessary experience required for this position regardless of your employment history or academic career.
To ensure all of the essential information is in your resume, we encourage you to use the USAJOBS online Resume Builder. If you choose to use your own resume, you must ensure it contains all of the required information and you organize it so we can associate the following information for each experience/position:
1. Job title
2. Name of employer
3. Beginning and ending dates of employment (month/day/year format)
4. Hours worked per week. We will assume full-time unless otherwise stated. We will prorate part-time employment in crediting experience.
5. Detailed description of job duties, accomplishments, related skills, and responsibilities to include any supervisory/managerial responsibilities and number of staff supervised (if applicable)
6. Series and grade or equivalent (if a federal position)
If the position has an education requirement or you are qualifying on the basis of education, you need to list your education history including the type of degree and your major of study. If the position requires a certain number of credit hours, you are strongly encouraged to list the relevant courses in your resume.
Do not include a photograph or video of yourself, or any sensitive information (age, date of birth, marital status, protected health information, religious affiliation, social security number, etc.) on your resume or cover letter. We will not access web pages linked on your resume or cover letter to determine your qualifications.
For resume writing guidance, please visit the following resources: NIH Jobs website, USAJOBS Resource Center, and the USAJOBS Resume Writing Video Tutorial.
You must submit a completed assessment questionnaire.
All of the above information is necessary to determine your qualifications for the position. Please help us make an informed decision regarding your eligibility by providing complete and thorough information on your experience and qualifications. Not providing all of required information may result in a determination that you do not meet minimum requirements for the position (e.g., an ineligible rating) or a lower rating.
REQUIRED DOCUMENTATION FOR PREFERENCE OR ELIGIBILITY CLAIMS
To claim veterans' preference, career transition selection priority, or Schedule A eligibility, you must provide the documentation listed below AND respond accordingly to the associated question on the online questionnaire.
- - Veterans' preference (DD-214, VA Disability Letter, etc.): Reference Standard Form 15 (SF-15) for required documentation for 10 point claims. Submission of SF-15 is not required, unless you are claiming derived preference (XP) as described in questions 7, 8, or 9 on the SF-15. In those cases, you must submit a completed SF-15 and the required documentation. For 5 point claims, you must submit your DD-214 (if separated) or any written documentation from the armed forces that certifies you are expected to be discharged or released from active duty service in the armed forces under honorable conditions not later than 120 days after the date the certification is submitted with your application package.
- - Visit our sites on Career Transition Assistance Program (CTAP)/Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP) for more information and required documentation.
Required Documentation for Schedule A Eligibility (Applicants with Disabilities)
Applicants who are eligible to be considered under Schedule A must submit appropriate documentation to verify your eligibility. Such documentation can be obtained from a licensed medical professional (e.g., a physician or other medical professional certified by a state, the District of Columbia, or a U.S. territory to practice medicine); a licensed vocational rehabilitation specialist (i.e., state or private); or any Federal agency, state agency, or agency of the District of Columbia or a U.S. territory that issues or provides disability benefits. The letter must be printed on a medical professional's letterhead and signed. Please note the Schedule A hiring authority neither guarantees employment, nor gives an individual preference in the hiring process.
If you do not provide the required information, we will assume you are not eligible or you do not wish to be considered for any preference or eligibility.
Please do not submit any other supplementary documentation that is not requested of you. To protect your personal information, we will only send your resume and cover letter to the selecting official or hiring manager.
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding. Learn more about federal benefits.
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
How to Apply
To apply for this position, please read and follow all instructions in this announcement, complete the online application, and submit the documentation specified in the "Required Documents" section. Your complete application package must be submitted by 11:59 PM Eastern Time (ET) on 06/19/2018 to receive consideration.
1. To begin, click Apply to access the online application. You will need to be logged into your USAJOBS account to apply.
2. Follow the prompts to select your resume and/or other supporting documents to be included with your application package (see the "Required Documents" section for any additional forms and/or supplemental materials required). You will have the opportunity to upload additional documents to include in your application before it is submitted. You must submit your documents through the online application. Unfortunately, we cannot accept emailed or mailed documents. NOTE: that your uploaded documents may take several hours to clear the virus scan process.
3. Read all Eligibility questions and respond accordingly to any Eligibility you wish to claim. NOTE: You will only be considered for those Eligibility questions (Status Applicant, Reinstatement, Schedule A, etc.) you respond in the affirmative to, including veterans' preference, regardless of what documentation you submit. We use these questions to assist in determining your eligibility for appointment, preference, and consideration. We cannot assume you intended to respond differently to a question based on other information in your application package. We cannot accept responsibility for granting you eligibility for something you did not claim other than what you provided us in the questionnaire.
4. Complete the assessment questionnaire. Applicants are asked all questions regardless of their consideration preferences. NOTE: We will only consider you for the grades, series, and specialties that you self-identify as being qualified for. We cannot assume you intended to respond differently to a qualification question based on other information in your application package. Preview assessment questionnaire before you apply: https://apply.usastaffing.gov/ViewQuestionnaire/10234266
5. Verify all required documentation is included in your application package, review your responses to the assessment questionnaire for accuracy, and then submit your application.
In addition to the required documents, we encourage you to submit the following although they are not required at the time of application (these documents may be requested later in the process).
- - Cover letter
- - Copy of transcripts (if applicable). Official transcripts will be required if selected.
- - Copy of current, valid, unrestricted professional license/registration (if applicable).
We cannot assume responsibility or grant extensions for personal issues (e.g., power outage, loss of internet, not understanding a question) when applying to our announcements. For technical difficulties, contact HR Systems Support between 8:00 AM and 4:30 PM ET Monday through Friday at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you are unable to apply online or need to fax a document you do not have in electronic form, view the following link for information regarding an Alternate Application. If you need any other accommodation or assistance with applying please contact Zina Abdelaziz at .email@example.com
NIH's EEO and Diversity and Inclusion Policy Statement
Visit the NIH's Office of Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion site for information on NIH's EEO program, Reasonable accommodation procedures, laws, policy statements, and the operation of the EEO complaint process.
Agency contact information
2115 East Jefferson Street
Rockville, MD 20851
Once you submit your application package, you will receive an acknowledgement email. Your application will be assessed to determine your qualifications and eligibility for the position. After the assessment is complete, you will be notified of the status via email. In addition, you can track the progress of your application package through your USAJOBS account.
The selecting official, hiring manager, or someone acting on their behalf will review the applications of the referred candidates and determine who to interview. We may contact you for an interview or to provide additional information after a few days or up to several months from the closing date of the announcement. We may contact you through email or phone so please ensure you have provided us with your accurate and current contact information. To remain in consideration for this vacancy announcement, you must respond in a timely manner to our correspondence and requests for documentation or information throughout the selection and hiring process.
Fair & Transparent
The Federal hiring process is setup to be fair and transparent. Please read the following guidance.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
The United States Government does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
Reasonable Accommodation Policy
Federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities where appropriate. Applicants requiring reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process should follow the instructions in the job opportunity announcement. For any part of the remaining hiring process, applicants should contact the hiring agency directly. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
A reasonable accommodation is any change to a job, the work environment, or the way things are usually done that enables an individual with a disability to apply for a job, perform job duties or receive equal access to job benefits.
Under the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodations when:
- An applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to apply for a job.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to perform the essential job duties or to gain access to the workplace.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to receive equal access to benefits, such as details, training, and office-sponsored events.
You can request a reasonable accommodation at any time during the application or hiring process or while on the job. Requests are considered on a case-by-case basis.
Legal and regulatory guidance
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/502468800. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.