THIS IS A PERMANENT, PRIVATE FUNDED POSITION WHICH DOES NOT CONFER COMPETITIVE FEDERAL STATUS TO THE INCUMBENT. THE SELECTED CANDIDATE WILL BE ELIGIBLE FOR THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT EMPLOYMENT BENEFITS PACKAGE INCLUDING HEALTH INSURANCE, LIFE INSURANCE, RETIREMENT COVERAGE, AND SICK/ANNUAL LEAVE ACCRUAL.Learn more about this agency
This announcement has an application limit of 150 applications. Therefore, applicants should apply as soon as possible. If the 150 application limit is not met previously, the job announcement will close at 11:59 pm, on Friday, June 22, 2018. Applicants need to ensure they provide all supporting documentation at the time they apply to the vacancy announcement.
Similar to other museums around the world and the independent government agencies here within the United States, the Gallery is facing a digital paradigm shift in the way we deliver our services to fulfill our mission. The key challenge with our delivery is how to adjust to the digital age and provide our staff and patrons with a secure and productive environment. The Linux Engineer/Release Manager position serves within Technology Solutions (TTS) – Operations (TTS-OPS). This department reports to the Office of the Chief Information Officer (OCIO) which is in the Office of the Treasurer of the National Gallery of Art (the Gallery).
In support of the Gallery’s long term digital strategy, the OCIO has been working aggressively to assess and migrate IT systems into cloud-based environments (Microsoft Azure, Amazon Web Services and others) over the course of the last few years. The Linux Engineer/Release Manager is a member of the group of technologists and the Release Manager in the request fulfillment process. Furthermore, the Linux Engineer/Release Manager is responsible for maintaining a close working relationship with the technology vendors, the Gallery’s system owners, the Information System Security Officer (ISSO) and other key stakeholders to ensure applications and services meet the system security requirements and are in compliance with the evolving US Government regulations, the National Institute of Standard (NIST) cyber security standards, the Gallery information security policies, and the industries best practice.
- Evaluate systems and upgrades for appropriateness.
- Oversee and implement system upgrade strategies.
- Assist in the design, implementation, and maintenance of complex solutions.
- Coordinate activities with other technical personnel as appropriate.
- Develop and analyze highly complex system standards, thresholds, and recommendations to maximize system performance.
- Maintain all server side Security Certificates to ensure compliance with the Gallery’s cyber security policy.
- Develop strategies to manage the frequency of installations of the support package releases and patch.
- Monitor system maintenance and provide technical recommendations for enhancement.
- Thorough understanding and workings of Server protocols including, NTP, SMTP, SFTP, and email routing.
- Research current systems technologies and serve as subject matter expert on complex systems processes and procedures.
- Provide technical know-how to internal and external personnel on highly complex system administration and installation processes.
- Share knowledge and provide guidance to less experienced personnel.
- Thorough understanding and workings of incident handling protocols, personally identifiable information, Server network procedures, and information handling.
- Coordinate with stakeholders to formulate complex technical solutions. Inform stakeholders of appropriate developments in technical support products.
- Responsible for installing and maintaining the Red Hat Linux server operating system and various Linux applications and services such as Apache, TomCat, Kerberos, LDAP, MySQL, Satellite Server, Bind, and Postfix, Bash, Python, and Perl scripting.
- Responsible for the security posture and implementing patches of Linux assets during weekly maintenance windows (off-hours).
- Provide immediate response to break-fix of Linux assets base on the Gallery's Business Continuity tiered handling requirements (to include off-hours).
Who May Apply
This job is open to…United States citizens and Nationals
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/501683700. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.