Recruitment/Relocation of 15% of the salary offer will be authorized for highly qualified candidates.Learn more about this agency
The incumbent for this position may be eligible to apply for the Education Debt Reduction Program. Please contact Human Resources at this medical center and speak with the Education Debt Reduction Program Coordinator for additional information.
The incumbent serves as a Generalist Medical Technologist in the clinical laboratory with responsibility for performing the full range of tests in Hematology/Coagulation, Blood Bank, Automated Chemistry, General Chemistry, Special Chemistry, Urinalysis, Microbiology and Molecular Microbiology; evaluating abnormal results; notifying physicians of critical lab results; using and maintaining equipment; accessioning all laboratory specimens; verifying results through the computer; and setting up and monitoring quality controls. The generalist Medical Technologist rotates through all sections of Laboratory Service as required and also works off-hour shifts, weekends, and holidays as priorities demonstrate a need.
Work Schedule: Full-Time, 40 hours per week; multiple tours available with rotating weekends and holidays.
Work Location: This position is located in the Pathology and Laboratory Service Line located at the Ralph H. Johnson VA Medical Center.
Financial Disclosure Report: Not required
Functional Statement Title/#: Medical Technologist
- Processes specimens including CAP performance surveys using equipment, instruments, computers, or techniques that are necessary to prepare them for specific analysis
- Responds to time factors to ensure that the physiologic state and integrity of the specimen is maintained
- Prepares reagents, controls, and standard solutions
- Verifies correct instrument operation using established procedures and quality control checks and monitoring
- Calibrates, standardizes, adjusts and maintains instruments
- Performs routine maintenance, troubleshoots instruments; performs and calculates results for a variety of tests
- Selects, performs, evaluates and monitors the performance of test procedures using manual and/or instrumental techniques in accordance with established protocols
- Recognizes and reacts to indicators of malfunction; locates and implements corrections
- Conducts quality control procedures on equipment, reagents, and products and maintains proper records for quality control reports
- Identifies the cause of common problems and makes simple repairs
- Evaluates the validity of data in relation to the test system and accepted assay procedures
- Correlates quantitative data with patient data (i.e., history, medications) to verify results
- Performs additional tests to clarify or confirm abnormal patient results
- Recognizes abnormal results that require immediate attention by the physician and reports them directly
- Responsible for the generation of laboratory results from the work area into the laboratory computer system and for the editing and verification of the results recorded into the computer system
- Actively participates in both elective and all mandatory continuing education as required by laboratory and medical center administration (i.e. fire and safety, infection control, EEO yearly training, laboratory specific education, etc.)
- May be required to present to their peers a short synopsis of the program they attended
- Answers inquiries regarding test results, methodology, test specificity and sensitivity, and specific factors which influence test results
- Accepts supplies, labels with date received, puts away supplies, stocks work area and keeps the stockroom orderly and clean
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/501209900. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.