Area of Consideration:Learn more about this agency
This position is open to U.S. Citizens and/or current permanent Federal employees of other agencies.
Graduate Medical Technologist:
Non-certified applicants who meet the basic eligibility requirements can be temporarily appointed for one full year as a Graduate Medical Technologist. If you wish to be considered as a Graduate Medical Technologist, please indicate this intent when completing the online assessment questionnaire.
Permanent / Full-Time, Monday - Friday, 7:00am to 3:30pm, (with periodic weekends)
This Medical Technologist position is Microbiology specific and the incumbent will rotate through various areas in the department, such as: Bacteriology, Molecular Biology, Immunology, Mycology, Parasitology, Serolgy, and Virology.
The incumbent that fills this vacancy will perform a broad range of complex Microbiology laboratory procedures within the Medical Technologist occupation. Daily tasks/duties could include, but are not limited to:
- Recognizes deviation from expected results
- Analyzes and corrects problems using scientific principles.
- Evaluates and solves problems related to collection and processing of biological specimens for analysis taking into account physiologic processes and requirements
- Maintains and documents the optimal functioning of laboratory equipment. Uses, calibrates, identifies malfunctions, repairs, and performs preventive maintenance of laboratory equipment. Diagnoses deviations in test performance due to instrument malfunction
- Performs and documents quality control and assurance activities and corrective actions related to test performance using statistical principles and theories of performance improvement
- Adheres to practices and regulations governing biosafety and biosecurity in the workplace
- Identifies discrepancies, solves problems, and presents solutions
- Answers inquiries regarding test results, methodology, test specificity, test sensitivity, and specific factors, which influence test results
- Interprets results and suggests follow-up test selection or procedures
- Evaluates and implements new techniques and procedures in the laboratory in terms of equipment, method comparison, and establishment of reference intervals using statistical methods and theoretical knowledge
- Interprets findings and makes recommendations
- Incorporates principles of educational methodology in the instruction and training of new employees and students and in the laboratory's in-service/continuing education program
- Communicates effectively and courteously while working as a healthcare team member.
- Provides excellent service as defined by the customer (healthcare providers, patients, and others)
- Gives direction and guidance using underlying principles of laboratory testing
- Organizes work and sets priorities to meet deadlines
- Efficiently performs other duties as assigned
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/500968100. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.