This position is located in the National Weather Service (NWS), Alaska Region and is for one vacancy located in Anchorage, AK.
Cost of Living Allowance (COLA) for Anchorage, Alaska is 3.74% and is not federally taxed. The COLA is not reflected in the locality salary shown in this vacancy announcement. COLAs are exempt from Federal income taxes; post differentials are not.Learn more about this agency
This position is also announced under vacancy number NWS-AR-2018-0033, which is open to all US Citizens or Nationals. You must apply to both announcements if you want to be considered for both.
* A one year probationary period may be required.
* Payment of relocation expenses is authorized.
* This position is in the bargaining unit.
This Job Opportunity Announcement may be used to fill other Physical Scientist, GS-1301-12 positions throughout NOAA. The position must be alike (e.g.: within the same geographic locations, same grade/band and requires the same qualifications and specialized experience as indicated in this vacancy announcement).
As a Physical Scientist, you will perform the following duties:
- Perform a full range of analysis for a wide variety of requests, including very difficult, complex or unusual assessments, and using the principles, theories, and practices of a combination of physical sciences including atmospheric science, oceanography, and meteorology for the use in technological assessments.
- Utilize knowledge of physical oceanic and atmospheric interactions, computer generated model forecast guidance, and remote sensing techniques to produce text and Geographic Information Systems (GIS) based analysis and forecasts and the ability to communicate these results to upper management and the public.
- Perform basic sea ice and sea surface temperature analysis and forecasting and provide Impact Based Decision Support (IDSS) to a variety of deep core partners and stakeholders.
Occasional travel - Occasional travel may be required.
Who May Apply
This job is open to…* Status Candidates - Current Federal employees with competitive status or Former Federal employees with reinstatement eligibility;
* CTAP/ICTAP eligibles;
* Veterans under VEOA or 30% Disabled and certain Military Spouses;
* Individuals with Disabilities (Schedule A);
* Peace Corps, Vista (AmeriCorps) eligibles;
* Those eligible under an OPM interchange agreement or other special appointing authority.
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/500926400. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.