Join the Center for Veterinary Medicine (CVM) in the protection of human and animal health. At CVM, we are responsible for regulating food, food additives, drugs, and devices for millions of pets and food-producing animals. As a high performance organization, we strive for leadership, innovation, and excellence across all operations, occupations, and grade levels. Learn more about why CVM is the best fit for your talents. Begin your career with CVM today.Learn more about this agency
This position will be filled through FDA's Staff Fellowship program. The appointment is for two years with opportunities for renewal.
This is an Excepted Service position under Title 42. Applications will be accepted from qualified US Citizens or permanent residents. No previous Federal experience is required. This appointment does not confer any entitlement to conversion to a position in the competitive service and no entitlement to Merit Systems Protection Board (MSPB) appeals rights.
Additional selections may be made within the same geographical area FDA-wide.
The Food and Drug Administration (FDA), Center for Veterinary Medicine (CVM), Office of Research, Division of Applied Veterinary Research is seeking qualified applicants for the position of Biologist. The Division of Applied Veterinary Research conducts applied and basic research using animals and animal systems in support of current and evolving regulatory issues.
The Division provides research solutions to issues of animal health, food safety of animal derived products, and other animal industry associated technologies.
- Assist the Attending Animal Care Veterinarian (AV) and the Clinical Veterinarian (CV), conducting research using the latest in veterinary medicine and laboratory techniques, and provide animal surgical support as required by other researchers.
- Assist the Principal Investigators and research and animal care staff in the proper conduct of procedures including, but not limited to:
- Protocol development, study initiation, termination, reporting aspects, technical procedures, surgical procedures, postoperative care, and the use of anesthetics and analgesics.
- Ensure the humane handling,husbandry, and veterinary medical care of animals used by research programs by adhering to and enforcing applicable legislation and policies.
- Perform analytical procedures using appropriate models and laboratory apparatuses based on research requirements.
- Recommend new laboratory equipment based on program requirements, schedules, demonstrations, and participate in procurement requests.
- Keep and maintain laboratory records and provide guidance and train technical support personnel regarding laboratory procedures, techniques, and equipment maintenance and repair.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/500918400. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.