This position is located in the Agricultural Research Service (ARS), Field Organization, National Agricultural Library located in Beltsville, MD.Learn more about this agency
The National Agricultural Library (NAL) is the nation’s primary resource for agricultural information and is one of four national libraries in the United States. NAL also serves as the Library of the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA). NAL advances access to global information for agriculture by connecting customers to information through technology. It houses one of the world’s largest and most accessible agricultural information collections, serves as the nexus for a national network of state land-grant and U.S. Department of Agriculture field libraries and serves as the U.S. center for international agriculture information system.
The incumbent serves as the NAL on-site (chief) engineer and provides professional engineering support and facility-related events to include the construction and design activities, asset management, and modernization projects involved in building management and maintenance, energy program, safety and health, environmental management and physical security management.
Major Duties may include, but are not limited to:
- Provides professional engineering and architectural expertise to management.
- Serves as the manager for the overall organization, planning, control, coordination and execution of long-term facility operations including major construction projects within the delegated authority.
- Ensures energy conservation, pollution control and environmental impact measures, handicapped access, fire prevention, and safety measures are taken into consideration during a projects design phase for new construction and renovation.
- Issues policies, procedures, bulletins and manual concerning safety.
- Oversees, negotiates and integrates all functions, e.g., life-cycle management, planning, design; cost engineering construction, real estate, contracting, customer needs, safety and health, etc. into a comprehensive management plan.
- Serves as the authorized signatory confirming the soundness of materials and constructions.
- Ensures environmental controls for archives and library collections protect the collections during the construction processes.
- Serves as Contracting Officers Representative (COR), monitoring construction work and reviewing project contractor construction activities.
- Works with the Administrative Officer in the planning of facility-related activities.
- Conducts meetings and interviews to gather data necessary for project development and identifies and defines the scope of the work for facilities projects and prepares appropriate design criteria for procurement activities.
Occasional travel - Occasional travel - 1-2 trips per year
Who May Apply
This job is open to…US Citizens and Nationals; no prior Federal experience is required.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/500691600. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.