This is an open continuous announcement. We accept applications for this occupation on an ongoing basis; qualified applicants will be considered as vacancies become available. Applications will be reviewed and names forwarded for consideration on a weekly basis. This announcement is only for the shifts mentioned below under the work schedule.Learn more about this agency
The Mental Health Staff Nurse is a Professional Nurse with broad-based clinical knowledge enabling him/her to effectively implement health promotion, illness prevention, and care management responsibilities for adult or older adult psychiatric patients requiring skilled nursing interventions in an inpatient setting.
Mental Health staff nurses typically provide care to patients with complex, acute or chronic psychiatric conditions, patients with cognitive impairments and/or patients in acute withdrawal from substances abuse . He/she is knowledgeable about the commitment process and all other legal issues surrounding care of the committed patient including elopement and the various levels of ground searches.
The Mental Health staff nurse is able to assess for the presence of suicidal and homicidal ideation and provide the appropriate level of observation.The Mental Health staff nurse utilizes the nursing process when assessing, planning, implementing, evaluating, and documenting nursing care provided. He/she works collaboratively with the interdisciplinary team when planning and providing care to adults and geriatric psychiatric patients and their families.
Work Schedule: Evenings, nights, and weekends. Evening shift: 3:30 p.m. to 12:00 a.m. or night shift 12:00 a.m. to 8:00 a.m. or 7:00 p.m. to 7:30 a.m. Weekend/Holiday day shift varies. Schedule may vary as deemed necessary to meet the needs of the Veterans and the Medical Center.
Financial Disclosure Report: Not required
- Performs basic physical, psychological and social assessments. Demonstrates a beginning ability to identify and prioritize care needs.
- Documents outcomes related to identified patient needs. Evaluates the patient's response to nursing interventions revising the care plan with assistance as necessary
- Implements the plan of care. Demonstrates accountability for management of patient assignment.
- Demonstrates knowledge and/or required safety skills in area of assignment, to include: emergency preparedness, hazardous materials, fire plan, equipment failure emergency plan and utility outage response procedures.
- Documents nursing process including patient/family/significant other education and discharge planning in an accurate and timely manner (per policy).
- Administers and documents medications and treatments according to policy (as assigned).
- Implements nursing and physician orders in a timely and accurate manner.
- Provides safe care and conserves resources effectively.
- Conforms to professional standards of practice and complies with patient care standards.
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/499970400. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.