GAO's work is designed to address four common goals:Learn more about this agency
- to help the Congress address current and emerging challenges to the well-being and financial security of the American people;
- to help the Congress to respond to changing security threats and the challenges of global interdependence;
- to help transform the Federal government to address national challenges; and
- to maximize the value of GAO by enabling quality, timely service to Congress and by being a leading practices Federal agency.
To learn more about GAO please visit us on the web at GAO
This position is located in the Applied Research and Methods (ARM), Center for Science, Technology and Engineering (CSTE). ARM contributes to the overall quality of the information that GAO provides in support of Congressional and Federal agency decision making and provides objective support to GAO teams. The team is led by the Managing Director, who directs the design and execution of appropriate methodologies that inform GAO reports through subordinate operational centers including: the Center for Design, Methods and Analysis; the Center for Economics; the Center for Evaluation Methods and Issues; the Center for Enhanced Analytics; and the Center for Science, Technology and Engineering. These centers offer expertise in many areas including cost analysis, engagement design, economics, data analysis, evaluation, science, statistics, surveys, technology, engineering, and IT security.
CSTE helps teams with engagements on system acquisition, contractor evaluation and cost estimation, systems development and reengineering, investment and technology management, and computer security and vulnerability assessment, as well as counterterrorism analysis, such as weapons detection and disaster preparedness. CSTE also identifies best practices in the private and public sectors and uses them as criteria for GAO’s work.
The GAO is part of the Legislative Branch of the Federal government. As such, all positions are in the excepted service. Applicants employed by other federal excepted service agencies who do not have status gained in the competitive service must apply to announcement number GAO-18-ARM-1515-03DEU for consideration.
The CSTE is seeking experienced professionals to serve as Operation Research Analysts (Cost Estimation Specialists) responsible for providing technical and specialist expertise that supports and extends the work of other GAO teams; and provides technical analyses where required in the areas of schedule and schedule risk analysis, cost estimation, and earned value management. Specifically, the incumbent:
• Leads the conduct of cost estimating, earned value management (EVM), and schedule risk analyses of large systems and acquisitions in the federal government, including but not limited to major weapons systems, IT modernization, aircraft, and satellite systems.
• Independently performs assessments of a program’s cost estimate, EVM, and schedule data to determine to what extent each is meeting best practices called for in GAO’s Cost and Schedule Estimating and Assessment Guides.
• Analyzes and reviews major acquisition schedules, conducts independent schedule risk analyses, and analyzes contract performance metrics. Interviews agency officials to discuss audit findings related to best practices.
• Prepares written assessments of cost, EVM, and schedule analyses that contain sufficient support and rationale for conclusions. Works with experts outside GAO to determine best practices for cost, EVM, and schedule as necessary. Provides related oral presentations to both internal GAO customers and external customers such as Congressional staff.
• Reviews products for adequate coverage and supportable conclusions regarding sound cost estimating, scheduling, and earned value management.
• Provides expert advice, guidance and support to engagement teams across GAO on all advanced technical analyses in related areas. Identifies key deficiencies in cost issues and analyzes and interprets earned value management data including evaluation of formats 1 through 6.
• Effectively advises teams on best technical approaches to achieve quality results. Provides training to staff as required on cost estimation, earned value management analysis, and schedule analysis.
Occasional travel - Occasional travel may be required.
Who May Apply
This job is open to…Current and former federal employees with status; individuals with disabilities; and and veterans eligible under a VEOA appointing authority.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/499889900. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.