You will serve as the key technical advisor and manager of the Division transportation planning program with authority to make final determinations as defined in Division Delegations of Authority. As the Division program manager, you will provide leadership, consultation, and expertise to the Division Administrator, the State Department of Transportation, Metropolitan Planning Organization(s), and local government officials regarding the Federal-Aid Transportation Planning program. You will also mentor and develop other Community Planners in the discipline.Learn more about this agency
The ideal candidate for this position is an experienced mid-career transportation planning professional skilled in managing major transportation planning programs, freight or technical areas. This candidate is someone who has the skills and abilities to effectively represent the agency to Federal, state and local officials and the general public. The candidate also is someone with good communication, negotiation, and partnering skills who desires to work in a challenging, complex, innovative environment.
PLEASE NOTE: The announcement includes the base salary in addition to 10.99% COLA.
This vacancy may be used to fill similar positions within 90 days for this location.
As a Community Planner, you will:
- Serves as the key policy/technical advisor to the Division Administrator and Assistant Division Administrator in providing leadership and guidance to promote, implement, and administer the FHWA's Statewide and/or metropolitan planning program responsibilities.
- Provides guidance and technical assistance to Division staff, and state Department of Transportation and MPO staffs on Federal planning requirements, policies, and procedures.
- Provides leadership and support to other disciplines in integrating transportation planning analysis and decision-making into other parts of the program and project development process.
- Provides leadership and influence in key transportation planning decisions. This includes activities such as those related to Statewide Planning and Research Programs (SPR), Statewide Transportation Planning products, Metropolitan Planning products, and the Unified Planning Work Program.
- Oversees the development of transportation planning processes, programs, and products such as long- range transportation plans, planning work programs (UPWP, SPR part1), the Statewide Transportation Improvement Program (STIP), and the Transportation Improvement Program (TIP) developed by state and/or MPO partners.
- Leads reviews to assess the adequacy of State and/or Metropolitan agency planning processes to meet Federal transportation planning requirements, including TMA Certification reviews and Statewide Planning Findings.
Occasional travel - Some travel is required.
Who May Apply
This job is open to…
- Current Federal Employees
- Former Federal Employees
- Overseas Employees
- Merit Promotion
- Status Candidates
- Schedule A
- Individuals with Disabilities
- Military Spouses
- Peace Corp
- 30% Disabled
- Fulbright Fellows, Gilman Scholarship, and Critical Language Scholarship Program alumni
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/499785900. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.