The Carl Hayden Bee Research Center located in Tucson, AZ is seeking a permanent, full time, Research Entomologist. The mission of the Unit is to conduct research to optimize the health of honey bee colonies, through improved nutrition and control of Varroa mites in order to maximize production of honey bee pollinated crops.Learn more about this agency
Research scientists have open-ended promotional potential. Research accomplishments and their impact on the duties and responsibilities of positions are evaluated periodically. The grade level is limited only by the individual's demonstrated ability to perform research of recognized importance to science and technology.
Major Duties: As a Research Entomologist the incumbent will perform the following:
- Participates in a research program investigating the nutritional value of pollen and nectar to honey bees, and identifying factors that may influence this;
- Conducts research to determine the effects of nutrients in pollen and nectar on honey bee physiology and colony health;
- Develops recommendations on plant and soil management methods that can improve the nutritional value of pollen and nectar;
- Establishes and maintains collaborations with other scientists to conduct studies on the effects of nutrition on honey bee physiology and colony health;
- Transfers technology through scholarly publications, patents and presentations to scientific and industry groups;
- Nutritional analyses of pollen and nectar collected from plants grown under defined conditions, and determination of the effects on honey bees at the individual and colony level; and
- Identify the effects of specific nutrients on honey bee physiology, gene expression and colony growth and survival.
Occasional travel - Incumbent will be required to travel in order to conduct research and to attend scientific meetings and conferences.
Who May Apply
This job is open to…
US Citizens and Nationals; no prior Federal experience is required.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/499618100. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.