The National Institute of General Medical Sciences (NIGMS) is looking for a motivated Management and Program Analysts to support the NIH mission.Learn more about this agency
- Determine the functionality of unique organizational structures and provide coordination among key participants for the long-range planning and development of organizational strategies to meet objectives and mission.
- Initiate and execute very complex administrative and management projects.
- Utilize expert skills in studying work methods, administrative guidelines, procedures, utilization of HR, work assignments, delegations of authority, management controls, information and documentation systems, etc.
- Analyze and evaluate findings and recommend more efficient, effective and economical ways to accomplish workload and program objectives.
- Participate in planning sessions.
- Establish and maintain contacts with other Government agencies and private organizations to exchange information.
- Design and conduct comprehensive management studies to identify and propose solutions to management problems.
Job family (Series)
Conditions of Employment
- U.S. Citizenship requirement met by closing date.
- Position is subject to a background investigation.
- Males born after December 31, 1959 must be registered with the Selective Service.
- Applicants must meet all qualifications requirements within thirty (30) calendar days of the closing date of this announcement.
- This position is subject to financial background investigation.
QualificationsIn order to qualify for the Management Analyst GS-11 level, you must:
A. have completed a Ph.D. or equivalent graduate degree or 3 full years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to such a degree or LL.M. Education must be related to the position to be qualifying OR;
B. have 1 year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the GS-09 level in the Federal service obtained in either the private or public sector, performing the following types of tasks: Conducting studies involving work processes and administrative procedures which are clerical and routine; analyzing studying findings to identify issues, risks, and concerns in processes or procedures; creating ad-hoc tabular reports on findings from quantitative (e.g., surveys, cost-benefit analyses, feasibility studies) assessment methods used studies; and developing management operations reports and arranging and conducting conferences/meetings with appropriate management personnel; OR;
C. I qualify for this position at the GS-11 level because I have a combination of post baccalaureate education related to the position and experience that meets 100% of the qualification requirements for this position.
In order to qualify for the Management Analyst GS-12 level, you must:
A. have 1 year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the GS-11 level in the Federal service obtained in either the private or public sector, performing the following types of tasks; conducting studies to evaluate the effectiveness of policies and procedures related to the management and administration of information management systems, human capital planning and financial and budgeting operations; writing administrative standard operating procedures; conducting analyses of administrative and management operations functions and work processes including examination of deviations from standards; conducting analyses of administrative and management operations functions and work processes including areas such as systems, manpower utilization, productivity management, workflow, and paperwork management; and developing findings and conclusions regarding management operations.
In order to qualify for the Management Analyst GS-13 level, you must:
A. have 1 year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the GS-12 level in the Federal service obtained in either the private or public sector, performing the following types of tasks: Leading studies employing qualitative (e.g., focus groups, individual interviews, observations) and quantitative (e.g., surveys, cost-benefit analyses, feasibility studies) assessment methods to evaluate the effectiveness of policies and procedures related to the management and administration of information systems, human capital planning, and financial and budgeting operations; performing analytical studies related to management operating procedures and organizational productivity; reviewing and editing administrative standard operating procedures affecting parent and subordinate offices; and, writing official reports to senior management on findings, recommendations, and implementation plans for improvements to administrative operations.
https://apply.usastaffing.gov/ViewQuestionnaire/10206165(link to questionnaire)
If you qualify based on education in lieu of specialized experience, you are strongly encouraged to submit a copy of your transcripts or a list of your courses including titles, credit hours completed and grades. Unofficial transcripts will be accepted in the application packages. Official transcripts will be required from all selectees prior to receiving an official offer. Click here for information on Foreign Education
A one-year probationary period may be required upon selection/placement.
PHS Commissioned Officers interested in performing the duties of this position within the Commissioned Corps should also apply online to this announcement in order to receive consideration.
Additional selections may be made across the entire Department of Health and Human Services within the Washington, DC commuting area through this vacancy announcement.
The National Institutes of Health participates in the USCIS Electronic Employment Eligibility Verification Program (E-Verify). E-Verify helps employers determine employment eligibility of new hires and the validity of their Social Security numbers.
The NIH maintains a tobacco free work environment and campus.
If you are unable to apply online or need to fax a document you do not have in electronic form, view the following link for information regarding an Alternate Application.
To apply for this position, you must submit a complete Application Package, which includes
- Your resume (see How to Apply section for requirements) and cover letter (if you wish to submit one)
- Responses to the online questionnaire
- Other supporting documents if applicable. Reference the online questionnaire for more information and specific requirements.
- A copy of your most recent competitive career or career conditional SF-50 that shows the effective date of your latest position and the full performance level. You may obtain a copy of your SF-50 from your human resources office or, if you are an HHS employee, from your eOPF. If you separated from Federal Government employment, you may obtain a copy of your SF-50 via the Federal Records Center, National Archives and Records Administration.
- Veteran Documentation for eligibility purposes only: (DD-214, VA Disability Letter, etc.). Reference Standard Form 15 (SF-15) for required documentation if you are a 10-point preference eligible. Submission of SF-15 is not required, unless you have derived preference (XP) as described in questions 7, 8, or 9 on the SF-15. In those cases, you must submit a completed SF-15 and the required documentation.
- Schedule A (Disability Appointment): Documentation of eligibility for employment under Schedule A can be obtained from a licensed medical professional (e.g., a physician or other medical professional certified by a state, the District of Columbia, or a U.S. territory to practice medicine); a licensed vocational rehabilitation specialist (i.e., state or private); or any Federal agency, state agency, or agency of the District of Columbia or a U.S. territory that issues or provides disability benefits. The letter must be printed on a medical professional's letterhead and signed.
- Documentation to support any other noncompetitive or OPM interchange agreement eligibility.
- Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP) documentation.
Do not submit any other supplementary documentation that is not requested of you. We will not use this documentation.
To ensure your information is secure, please redact social security numbers and birth dates. Original copies may be requested if you are hired.
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
How to Apply
Your Resume must clearly articulate how your skills and experiences align to the criteria defined in the qualifications section of this announcement and it must support your responses to the assessment questionnaire. For each position you must describe your duties, accomplishments, related skills, and responsibilities. Your resume must also include the day, month, and year that you began and ended for each position held. Full-time employment will be assumed unless otherwise stated on your resume. Part-time employment will be prorated in crediting experience. Not providing this information may result in the lowering of your assessment score or an ineligible rating. Do not include a photograph or video of yourself on your resume or cover letter. We will not access web pages linked on your resume or cover letter to determine your qualifications. For resume writing guidance, please visit the USAJOBS Resource Center or view their video tutorial.
To apply for this position, you must complete the online application and submit the documentation specified in the Required Documents section below.
A complete application package must be submitted by 11:59 PM Eastern Time (ET) on the closing date of the announcement to receive consideration.
To begin, click Apply to access the online application. You will need to be logged into your USAJOBS account to apply. If you do not have a USAJOBS account, you will need to create one before beginning the application.
Follow the prompts to select your resume and/or other supporting documents to be included with your application package. You will have the opportunity to upload additional documents to include in your application before it is submitted. Your uploaded documents may take several hours to clear the virus scan process.
You will be taken to the online application which you must complete in order to apply for the position. Complete the online application, verify the required documentation is included with your application package, and submit the application.
- A complete Assessment Questionnaire. https://apply.usastaffing.gov/ViewQuestionnaire/10206165
- Other required supporting documents (See the Required Documents section for any additional forms and/or supplemental materials required.)
To verify the status of your application, log into your USAJOBS account (https://my.usajobs.gov/Account/Login), all of your applications will appear on the Welcome screen. The Application Status will appear along with the date your application was last updated. For information on what each Application Status means, visit: https://www.usajobs.gov/Help/how-to/application/status/.
For additional information, click on the links below: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Agency contact information
AddressNational Institutes of Health
2115 East Jefferson Street
Rockville, MD 20851
Once your online application is submitted you will receive a confirmation notification by email. Within 15 business days of the closing date,05/18/2018, your application will be evaluated by the Human Resources Office to determine your eligibility for the position. After the evaluation is complete, you will receive another notification regarding the status of your application. In addition, you may also check your status online at USAJOBS.
Fair & Transparent
The Federal hiring process is setup to be fair and transparent. Please read the following guidance.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
The United States Government does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
Reasonable Accommodation Policy
Federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities where appropriate. Applicants requiring reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process should follow the instructions in the job opportunity announcement. For any part of the remaining hiring process, applicants should contact the hiring agency directly. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
A reasonable accommodation is any change to a job, the work environment, or the way things are usually done that enables an individual with a disability to apply for a job, perform job duties or receive equal access to job benefits.
Under the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodations when:
- An applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to apply for a job.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to perform the essential job duties or to gain access to the workplace.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to receive equal access to benefits, such as details, training, and office-sponsored events.
You can request a reasonable accommodation at any time during the application or hiring process or while on the job. Requests are considered on a case-by-case basis.
Legal and regulatory guidance
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/499477700. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.