Work schedule for this position is flexible, to include from Part-time to Full-time or Full-time to Part-time.Learn more about this agency
The incumbent will serve as an Administrative Assistant to the Emergency Management, Safety and Security Division (EMSSD), located in Fort Collins, Colorado. The incumbent provides full administrative support to the Branch Chief and staff.
This is a student position located in the Animal and Plant Health Inspection Services, Marketing and Regulatory Program Business Services, Emergency Management, Safety and Security Division. Applicants must be available to work a regular schedule when classes are in session as well as during scheduled breaks.
The Pathways Internship Program is designed to provide students enrolled in a wide variety of educational institutions, from high school to graduate level, with opportunities to work in agencies and explore Federal careers while still in school and while getting paid for the work performed.
Students who successfully complete the program may be eligible for conversion to a permanent job in the civil service. The target position upon graduation would be to a qualifying position as a GS-0303-7, Administrative Support Assistant.
Housing and travel expenses will not be paid.
APHIS is an emergency response agency. This means that all Agency employees may be asked or assigned to participate in rotating temporary duty assignments to support emergency programs at some time during their careers with APHIS. For details click: APHIS Emergency Response
The duties may include, but are not limited to:
- Coordinates the administrative and clerical work of EMSSD; provides guidance, direction, to ensure all staff administrative priorities are met; and resolves associated problems. Prepares administrative and associated reports, releases information to public and staff on administrative procedures and methods, and follows up on activities to ensure timely completion. Plans work and establishes schedules to meet priorities and suspense dates.
- Provides technical and administrative support to APHIS logistics officers/staff, APHIS dispatchers, and other personnel during emergencies. Sets and adjusts short-term and long-term priorities and prepares schedules for completion of workEnsures that proper procedures are followed in the conduct of EMSSD’s administrative and clerical work such as preparation and processing of correspondence, reports, forms, filing, records management, mail, preparations of travel orders, associated travel vouchers, time and attendance reports, and personnel actions. The incumbent prepares International travel authorizations and vouchers in a timely manner.
- Receives and reviews budget policies and procedures; assists in tracking of unit expenditures allocating costs to appropriate object class codes; provides supervisor with information essential to the preparation of the budget, solicits information from staff on budget requests, coordinates activities related to budget with other staffs, and serves as point of contact for requests from higher management on office budget.
- Verifies office expenditures against budget reports noting discrepancies and taking appropriate action to reconcile discrepancies as necessary.
- Prepares requisitions for supplies, equipment, and maintains adequate stock for EMSSD. Checks the status of supply purchases and performs follow-up as required. Maintains inventory for expendable office supplies, orders additional stock as needed, and monitors the use and distribution of supplies. Maintains organized supply cabinet and assists personnel in locating items.
- Establishes, maintains, and systematically disposes of a variety of records, documents, and files. Communicates directly with the staff relative to delayed, incomplete, and inaccurate correspondence, actions, reports, and other matters. Reviews all written material for completeness, accuracy, proper preparation, and advises personnel of proper methods to eliminate points of nonconformance.
- Accomplishes clerical, statistical, and data entry tasks in support of the administrative work of the Branch using a variety of automated data processing systems and databases. Uses automation systems to create and delete files, store or extract material from a variety of software packages, generates cumulative, statistical, tabular, and narrative reports.
- Receives and screens telephone and personal inquiries relative to the activities of EMSSD. Coordinates telecommunication activities with other branches and customer support.
- Monitors and assures completion of daily, weekly, monthly and year-end required records, reports and summaries.
25% or less - Occasional travel may be required.
Who May Apply
This job is open to…
Open to current Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service (APHIS) Pathways Interns currently enrolled or accepted for enrollment on at least a half-time basis at a qualifying educational institution in a certificate, degree, or diploma program.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/499452000. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.