VA Eastern Kansas Health Care System (VAEKHCS) is currently recruiting for a Physician, Staff Pathologist, located in the Pathology and Laboratory Service. The incumbent will support the functions of the Service based on the mission, special needs, and size of the facility. The Staff Pathologist will be based at Topeka but will provide laboratory services for the Leavenworth campus as needed.Learn more about this agency
Permanent Change of Station (PCS) is authorized for highly qualified applicants. PCS is the relocation of a household in connection with a transfer between duty stations or facilities (exceeding a 50 mile radius). For more information go to http://vaww.fscdirect.fsc.va.gov/pcs.asp .
Work Schedule: Primary tour of duty will be 8:00 am-4:30 pm Monday-Friday; some of the clinical activities will occur outside VA administrative hours.
Financial Disclosure Report: Not required
Please email your CV to James Pryan @ James.Pryan@va.gov
Fax to 913-758-4111 attention James Pryan - Physician Recruiter
This is an open continuous announcement. We accept applications for this occupation on an ongoing basis; qualified applicants will be considered as vacancies become available. Applicants will be referred to selecting official on a weekly basis OR until the closing date of this announcement. Applicants need not re-apply once the application is referred to the selecting official.
The Staff Pathologist must be a board-certified physician and will report directly to the Service Chief, Pathology and Laboratory Service.
Duties to include but are not limited to:
- Interpreting clinical laboratory data and communicating conclusions effectively with providers, residents and students; providing consultation to providers when appropriate.
- Performing gross and microscopic examination of surgical and cytologic cases and providing reports in a timely manner.
- Performing post-mortem examinations and ensuring that the provisional and final reports are completed in a timely manner.
- Performing frozen sections and gross intraoperative interpretations as needed.
- Participating in the review of quality-control data, results of proficiency testing, and other internal service data to meet regulatory requirements.
- Possibly representing the laboratory at functions or committees such as tumor conference, transfusion review, and others as assigned.
- Taking call for both hospitals a week at a time on a rotating schedule.
- Possibly participating in planning of laboratory operations, including budgets and new initiatives.
- Providing rapid assessment for adequacy of specimens obtained by fine-needle aspiration.
- Interpreting bone marrow biopsies and peripheral smears.
- Participating in quality improvement within the service; supporting cost-effective use of resources in laboratory operations.
- Supporting compliance with requirements of accrediting agencies.
Occasional travel - Occasional travel between the Leavenworth and Topeka campuses may be required.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/499294200. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.