This vacancy announcement is for a Medical Technologist position with the Pathology and Laboratory Service of the VA Eastern Kansas Health Care System. Medical Technologists at this level perform more complex laboratory functions. Duties may include specific targeted laboratory responsibilities or projects such as laboratory safety officer, analyzer specialist or quality control file maintenance.Learn more about this agency
Work Schedule: All shifts to include days, evenings and nights with rotating holidays.
Functional Statement Title: Advanced Staff Medical Technologist GS-644-10
Financial Disclosure Report: Not required
Recruitment and Relocation incentives are authorized for highly qualified applicants.
You may be eligible to apply for the Education Debt Reduction Program. The Education Debt Reduction programs offers eligible applicants up to $120,000 (tax free!) for reimbursement of qualifying educational loans. Please contact Human Resources at this medical center and speak with the Education Debt Reduction Program Coordinator for additional information.
Permanent Change of Station (PCS) is authorized for highly qualified applicants. PCS is the relocation of a household in connection with a transfer between duty stations or facilities (exceeding a 50 mile radius). For more information go to http://vaww.fscdirect.fsc.va.gov/pcs.asp .
Service Credit for Leave: Credit for prior work experience or experience in a uniformed service may be granted to an employee upon the effective date of his or her initial appointment to the agency or reappointment after a 90-day break in service.
Please contact Melissa Menzel at 913-682-2000 ext 52667 to discuss the excellent benefits package and incentives authorized for this exciting career opportunity!
The duties and responsibilities include but are not limited to and may be asked to perform other duties as required:
- Serves as primary operator on new systems.
- Assumes responsibility to maintain operations including preventative maintenance and training of technicians and technologists on the operation of new test systems.
- Assists in writing procedures and other documents as directed.
- Oversight of the clinical training experiences of technical and professional level technologist or technician training programs in order to fulfill education and professional requirements (where training programs exist).
- Provides technician training and guidance to students, residents, staff and other employees.
- Recommends updated guidelines and policies in compliance with regulatory requirements for non-routine or complex assignments.
- Coordinates the laboratory competency program.
- Coordinates the Clinical Laboratory Improvement Act (CLIA) laboratory proficiency/survey program.
- Selects, performs, evaluates and monitors the performance of test procedures using manual and/or instrumental techniques in accordance with established protocols. Recognizes and reacts to indicators of malfunction; locates and implements corrections.
- Conducts quality control procedures on equipment, reagents and products and maintains proper records for quality control reports.
- Calibrates, standardizes, adjusts and maintains instruments. Verifies correct instrument operation using established procedures and quality control checks and monitoring. Identifies the cause of common problems and makes simple repairs.
- Responsible for maintaining the laboratory for CAP inspection readiness at all times. Knowledge of the contents of the CAP checklists for each section and able to respond to the inspector for each checklist question or able to find the correct response.
- Responsible for knowledge of regulatory agency requirements necessary to assure that work meets standards to the extent necessary to maintain accreditation from CAP, JCAHO, FDA, OSHA by following printed guidelines.
- Comprehensive knowledge of professional medical technology/clinical laboratory science principles, practices, concepts and theories providing sound independent work.
- Performs phlebotomy on both inpatient and outpatient veterans ranging in age.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/498696900. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.