Who may apply: Applications will be accepted from all qualified candidates.Learn more about this agency
This position is in the Excepted Service. It is filled by an alternative hiring process and is not in the competitive civil service.
The following link will help you determine if you meet the eligibility to apply for this position:
PLEASE NOTE: You will be considered only for those appointment eligibilities for which you select, attach supporting documentation and are found eligible.
- Serves as a Sign Language Interpreter within the Defense Finance and Accounting Service (DFAS) Indianapolis Center (IN). Responsible for providing a full range of interpreting/transliterating services for DFAS-IN deaf/hard of hearing (HoH) employees.
- Utilizes skill in a variety of signed languages (i.e., American Sign Language (ASL), Contact Sign, and Conceptually Accurate Signed English, CASE) .
- Interprets/transliterates any conversation, meeting, training session, interview, or other requested event. Also, may provide oral interpreting to employees who do not use sign language.
- Interprets/transliterates in a variety of communication modes for agency-wide work related events such as programs, conferences, appraisals, counseling sessions, etc. for specific training needs/purposes and benefits.
- In a team environment, coordinates all incoming customer interpreting service requests through emails and phone calls. Schedules blocks of time according to customer requirements and team availability using MS Outlook calendars.
- Works within a fast-paced environment to coordinate schedule conflicts, reschedules and short notice priorities. Coordinates with external contractor for interpreter requirements as needed.
- Provides training to supervisors and staff on Deaf Culture and interpreter services. Looks for process improvement opportunities to better serve customers.
- Other administrative duties may include serving as a Contracting Office Representative or backup for an external interpreting contract. These duties involve tracking and reviewing bills are correct and submitting internal financial paperwork.
- May assist in other general administrative duties within the Site Support Office during downtime.
Occasional travel - The travel requirements for this position is Seldom (1-24%).
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/497891700. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.