Click on "Learn more about this agency" button below to view Eligibilities being considered and other IMPORTANT information.Learn more about this agency
NOTE: It is important to remember that eligibility for conversion does not guarantee that the Department of the Air Force will offer conversion.
You MUST have one or more identified eligibilities in order to be considered. Eligibility claims must be supported with required documentation submitted within each application package to be considered. Transfer and Reinstatement eligibles must provide their most current SF-50 reflecting the highest grade held. **Air Force is not responsible for erroneous eligibilities you list or fail to list**
Hourly Wage: $16.60 - $29.65
The primary purpose of this position is to observe and assist under close supervision, journeymen level aircraft mechanics in servicing, ground handling, inspecting, troubleshooting, removing and replacing airframe assemblies and components, and performing operational checks of aircraft systems
- Under close supervision, assists journeymen mechanic in servicing and maintenance tasks for assigned aircraft.
- Under close supervision, assists journey level mechanics in the ground handling of aircraft.
- Assists mechanics in performing required aircraft inspections.
- Assists journey level mechanics in the removal and replacement of airframe components.
Conditions of Employment
- You will be required to provide proof of U.S. Citizenship
- Must be registered for Selective Service, see Legal and Regulatory Guidance
- Must sign a participant agreement
- Must obtain and maintain a Secret clearance.
- You will be in a trial period throughout your entire Pathways appointment
- Disclosure of Political Appointments
- Subject to pre-employment and random drug testing. Meet drug test requirements of the position as outlined in AFI 44-107. Drug Testing required for the position.
- A pre-employment physical examination may/will be required.
- May be required to work overtime, rotating shifts, uncommon tours, weekends, etc.
- The work may require the employee to drive a motor vehicle. An appropriate, valid driver's license may be required for the position.
- Performs other duties as assigned
- Must hold a current Federal Aviation Administration Airframe and Powerplant license which can be verified on the Airmen Certification database through www.faa.gov
QualificationsAny individual who completed all requirements for a associate, bachelor, master, professional, or doctorate degree from a qualifying educational institution within the previous two years or will meet the basic requirement to apply for the Recent Graduate Program;
Any veteran released or discharged from active duty within the previous two years, but due to a military service obligation, was precluded from applying for a recent graduate position during any portion of the two-year eligibility period following completion of applicable degree, and not more than six years have transpired since completing the requirements for the degree
Qualified candidates will be considered in accordance with the Office of Personnel Management Pathways Guidelines . You can also visit: http://www.opm.gov/qualifications/standards/index-Standards.asp for additional qualification standards.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
1. Ability to follow directions and work closely with others.
2. Ability to follow safety regulations and procedures.
3. Ability to learn technical practices, to select tools and carry out the aircraft mechanical work assigned.
4. Ability to learn to use and maintain hand and power tools such as pneumatic wrenches, torque wrenches, speed wrenches, ratchet wrenches, end wrenches, screwdrivers, and pliers.
5. Ability to learn to read and use written instructions, standard specifications, mechanical drawings, and wiring diagrams.
6. Ability to learn to receive, validate, and store tools, equipment, and supplies.
7. Ability to handle physical requirements for a variety of requirements.
The work requires moderate to strenuous effort. Must climb, bend, stoop, crawl, and stand for prolonged periods on concrete or metal surfaces. Frequently lifts parts and equipment weighing up to 20 pounds. Occasionally may lift and carry items that weigh about 50 pounds with mechanical lifting devices or with assistance from other workers.
Work is performed in hanger areas, outdoors, in parked aircraft, and sometimes in hazardous noise areas. Exposed to extremes in heat, cold, and inclement weather. Must work in confined areas and in awkward positions. Exposed to dirt, grease, and aircraft fluids, oil, hydraulic fluid, solvents, and hazardous fluids and gases, such as Hydrazine and Halon. Subject to cuts, bruises, muscle strain, and injury from falls off scaffolds, ladders, and aircraft surfaces. May be exposed to intake suction and hot exhaust blast.
PART-TIME OR UNPAID EXPERIENCE: Credit will be given for appropriate unpaid and or part-time work. You must clearly identify the duties and responsibilities in each position held and the total number of hours per week.
VOLUNTEER WORK EXPERIENCE: Refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service Programs (i.e., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; student and social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge and skills that can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment.You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
This position has an education requirement. You MUST provide transcripts to support your educational claims. Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education. http://www2.ed.gov/admins/finaid/accred/index.html
FOREIGN EDUCATION: Education completed in foreign colleges or universities may be used to meet the requirements. You must show proof the education credentials have been deemed to be at least equivalent to that gained in conventional U.S. education program. It is your responsibility to provide such evidence when applying.
YOUR TRAINING AND DEVELOPMENT COVERS:
- Participant Agreement
- Orientation program
- Mentorship throughout the Program
- Individual Training & Development Plan to assist with career planning, professional development, and training activities
- At least 40 hours of formal, interactive training each year of the Program
- Opportunity for career advancement
- Recent Graduates who are selected for conversion must have completed all requirements of the program successfully
- Demonstrated successful job performance consistent with the applicable performance appraisal program
- Met the Office of Personnel Management (OPM) qualification standard for the position to which the Recent Graduate will be converted
Selective Service: Males born after 12-31-59 must be registered or exempt from Selective Service. For additional information, click here.
Employed Annuitants (Reemployed Annuitants): Applicants in receipt of an annuity based on civilian employment in the Federal Service are subject to the DoD Policy on The Employment of Annuitants. Click here for more information.
90-Day Register: This announcement may result in a 90-day register that may be used to fill like vacancies for 90 days after the closing date. Applicants may be referred for consideration as vacancies occur.
Direct Deposit: All federal employees are required to have direct deposit.
You MUST have one or more listed eligibilities (click "Learn more about this agency" button above) to be considered. Eligibility claims must be supported with required documentation submitted with each application package to be considered. "Transfer" and "Reinstatement" or equivalent eligibles must provide their most current SF-50 and the SF-50 reflecting the highest grade held if not reflected on most current/separation SF-50. *Air Force is not responsible for erroneous eligibilities you list or fail to list.
If you have questions regarding this announcement and have hearing or speech difficulties click here.
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Your application package (resume, supporting documents, and responses to the questionnaire) will be used to determine your eligibility, qualifications, and quality ranking for this position. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your rating or consideration for employment.
Your responses to the questionnaire may be compared to the documents you submit. The documents you submit must support your responses to the online questionnaire. If your application contradicts or does not support your questionnaire responses, you will receive a rating of "not qualified" or "insufficient information" and you will not receive further consideration for this job.
If qualified, we will then place you in one of the three categories described below:
1. Best-qualified category: Perform most difficult and complex the ability to learn technical practices, to select tools and carry out aircraft mechanical work assigned; and the ability to learn to use and maintain hand and power tools such as pneumatic wrenches, torque wrenches, speed wrenches, ratchet wrenches, end wrenches, screwdrivers, and pliers with a high degree of independence.
2. Highly-qualified category: Perform a full range the ability to learn technical practices, to select tools and carry out aircraft mechanical work assigned; and the ability to learn to use and maintain hand and power tools such as pneumatic wrenches, torque wrenches, speed wrenches, ratchet wrenches, end wrenches, screwdrivers, and pliers with a high degree of independence.
3. Qualified category: Perform common the ability to learn technical practices, to select tools and carry out aircraft mechanical work assigned; and the ability to learn to use and maintain hand and power tools such as pneumatic wrenches, torque wrenches, speed wrenches, ratchet wrenches, end wrenches, screwdrivers, and pliers with a high degree of independence.
Applicants in the Best-qualified category will be referred to the selecting official for further review. Applicants who disqualify themselves will not be evaluated further.
To apply for this position, you must provide a complete Application Package which includes:
1. Your Resume (your latest resume will be used to determine your qualifications)
- If you submit more than one copy of your resume, only the most recent (latest) version will be reviewed. The latest timestamp will be used to determine which version of your resume is "most recent." It is your responsibility to check the status and timestamp of all documents you submit as part of your application.
- If your resume includes a photograph or other inappropriate material or content, you will not be considered for this vacancy.
- For qualification determinations your resume must contain hours worked per week and dates of employment (i.e., hours per week and month/year to month/year or month/year to present). If your resume does not contain this information, your application may be marked as insufficient and you will not receive consideration for this position.
3. Additional Required Documents (see Required Documents section below). Ensure all submitted documents contain your full name, address, phone number, and last four digits of your social security number.
Background checks and security clearance
The following documents are required and must be provided with your application for this Public Notice:
- Online Application - Questionnaire
- Resume - must include beginning and ending month and year for each employment period
- Transcripts - must contain the university logo (can be a copy)
- Registration/License - active, current registration/license if applicable for the position
- Veterans' Preference - a copy of your DD Form 214 which must include character of service or a Statement of Service/Proof of Service which must include service dates and character of service. In addition, if claiming 10-point preference you must submit a VA Letter or a disability determination from a branch of the Armed Forces (or documentation of purple heart, if applicable) and a SF 15 (Application for 10-point veteran preference).
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding. Learn more about federal benefits.
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
How to Apply
The complete Application Package must be submitted by 11:59 PM (ET) on 10/18/2018
To preview the Application Questionnaire, please click the following link: https://apply.usastaffing.gov/ViewQuestionnaire/10191873
To begin the process, click the Apply Online button to create an account or log in to your existing USAJOBS account. Follow the prompts to complete the application questionnaire. Please ensure you click the Submit My Application button at the end of the process.
If you are unable to apply online, view the following link for information regarding Alternate Application. The Vacancy ID is 10191873
PLEASE NOTE: It is the applicant's responsibility to verify that information entered and/or uploaded, (i.e., resume) is received, accurate, and submitted by the closing date. You may verify your documents have been processed with your application package successfully. You can access your USAJOBS account to do so by clicking here. Uploaded documents may take up to one hour to clear the virus scan.
Human Resources WILL NOT modify or change any answers submitted by an applicant.
Agency contact information
Total Force Service Center
308 N First Street
Altus AFB, OK 73523
Once your application package is received an acknowledgement email will be sent.
If you provided an email address, you will receive an email message acknowledging receipt of your application. Your application package will be used to determine your eligibility and qualifications for consideration. If you are determined to be ineligible or not qualified, your application will receive no further consideration.
To check the status of your application or return to a previous or incomplete application, log into your USAJOBS account, select My Applications, and click on the more information link under the application status for this position.
If you do not provide an email address, you are responsible for checking status updates and notifications in USAJOBS. Hard copy notifications will not be sent to you.
Fair & Transparent
The Federal hiring process is setup to be fair and transparent. Please read the following guidance.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
The United States Government does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
Reasonable Accommodation Policy
Federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities where appropriate. Applicants requiring reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process should follow the instructions in the job opportunity announcement. For any part of the remaining hiring process, applicants should contact the hiring agency directly. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
A reasonable accommodation is any change to a job, the work environment, or the way things are usually done that enables an individual with a disability to apply for a job, perform job duties or receive equal access to job benefits.
Under the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodations when:
- An applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to apply for a job.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to perform the essential job duties or to gain access to the workplace.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to receive equal access to benefits, such as details, training, and office-sponsored events.
You can request a reasonable accommodation at any time during the application or hiring process or while on the job. Requests are considered on a case-by-case basis.
Legal and regulatory guidance
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/497086700. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.