The incumbent is a Medical Instrument Technician (MIT) -Sleep Technician is under the general supervision of Lead Polysomnograhicer, the Chief, Pulmonary Section and reports directly to the Chief, Respiratory Therapy. The Sleep Tech conducts a variety of polysomnography tests: Nocturnal Polysomnography (NPSGs), Split Night Studies, Maintenance of Wakefulness Test (MWT), Positive Airway Pressure Titration (PAP), Actigraphy, Upper Airway Pressure Monitoring, Oxygen Titration and Portable Studies. As Sleep Technician, is involved with direct patient care.Learn more about this agency
Work Schedule: 8:00 pm to 6:00 am, however schedules may vary
Financial Disclosure Report: Not required.
Functional Statement Title/#: Medical Instrument Technician (Polysomnography/Sleep Tech) GS-0649
Duties include but may not be limited to the following:
- Sets up and monitors complex sleep diagnostic equipment such as electroencephalogram (EEG), electromyogram (EMG), electroculogram (EOG), electrocardiogram (ECG), arterial oxygen saturation, thoraco-abdominal wall motions, and nasal/oral airflow or temperature changes.
- Independently applies nasal continuous positive airway pressure (CPAP) as necessary and adjusts airflow and pressure to appropriate levels. Also appropriately applies oxygen therapy as needed
- Make all necessary adjustments and modifications in diagnostic sleep testing equipment to achieve quality recordings results
- Responsible to make assessments of patients sleep status utilizing data obtained through history, examination, and monitoring of the various test parameters
- Organize and prepare completed patient chart, tracing and other significant data, and present to chief technologist and medical director
- Applies ventilator techniques such as continuous positive aireway pressure (CPAP, BiLevel, ASV, AVAPS, and IVAPS
- Explains procedures, and positions patients to insure patient comfort for optimal recording of PSG
- Prepares, calibrates, interfaces, and operates all equipment used in polysomnographic procedures
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/496698900. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.