This position is year-round. During the school year part-time hours will apply; however, during school breaks and the summer period, full-time hours may apply. The work schedule may be adjusted to meet the needs of the student's schedule.
In order to be eligible to receive consideration for this position, you must be able to: (1) report to the duty station location listed in this vacancy announcement, if selected; and (2) be available to work the schedule identified.
This vacancy is limited to the first 50 applications received and will close at midnight Eastern Time on the day this application limit is reached regardless of the closing date specified in this vacancy announcement. Any application received prior to midnight Eastern Time of the day the application limit is reached will be accepted and considered. You are strongly encouraged to submit all required supporting documents at the time of application should the vacancy close earlier than stated in this announcement due to the applicant limit being reached. Supporting documents will not be accepted once the vacancy announcement closes.
Salary: $16.00 per hour (Step 01) to $20.80 per hour (Step 10); NOTE: First time hires to the Federal Government are typically hired at the Step 01.
In order to be eligible for an appointment under the Pathways Internship Program:
- You must be a student accepted for enrollment or enrolled in a degree or certificate program on a full- or half-time basis as defined by the school (certificate program means post-secondary education, in a qualifying educational institution, equivalent to at least one academic year of full-time study that is part of an accredited college-level, technical, trade, vocational, or business school curriculum); AND
- Enrollment is with a qualifying educational institution such as a high school or state-approved homeschool; or accredited technical or vocational school; a 2- or 4-year college or university; a graduate or professional school (e.g., law school, medical school); or a post-secondary home school curriculum; AND
- Students currently enrolled must be in good academic standing maintaining a 2.0 grade point average on a cumulative basis; AND
- The duties of this position should be related to your academic or career goals.
- You must continue to meet these eligibility requirements throughout the duration of your appointment under the Pathways Internship Program.
The USGS UTAH WATER SCIENCE CENTER, located in Salt Lake City, UT is seeking a graduate level student working towards a degree in Earth Science, Geology, Geophysics, or Hydrology to gain practical experience in complex hydrological studies; research and investigations; and field practices.
As a Student Trainee (Hydrology) you will serve in a trainee capacity, performing routine and recurring development assignments to acquire knowledge and understanding of functions, principles, practices, and methods used in the area of an Hydrologist.
--Collecting hydrologic data and preserving water samples.
--Analyzing samples for chemical, sediment and biological characteristics.
--Computing mean daily gage heights and preparing digital recorder tapes for computer processing.
--Developing rating curves and compiling daily discharge values.
--Collecting and logging geologic samples.
--Preparing graphic representation of hydrologic data utilizing maps, charts, hydrographs, and frequency curves.
--Writing reports on hydrologic studies.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: Field conditions may include extreme heat or cold, rain or snow, and hazardous conditions such as ice or flooding. Position requires considerable walking, lifting, bending, climbing and stream wading is necessary to collect data.
Occasional travel - Average travel of 1 night per month.
Who May Apply
This job is open to…All qualified students who are U.S. citizens and meet the eligibility requirements for the Pathways Internship Program as described below.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/496448800. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.