This position is within the Quality Enhancement Research Initiative (QUERI), Health Services Research and Development Service (HSR&D), Office of Research and Development (ORD), at the Veterans Health Administration (VHA) Headquarters in Washington, D.C., and reports to the Director, QUERI, for both scientific and administrative activities related to all functions of his/her office.Learn more about this agency
The overall mission of QUERI is to improve Veteran health and achieve real-world impact of research by supporting the more rapid implementation of effective clinical practices into routine care. The QUERI Strategic Plan aims to accomplish three major goals in support of its mission: (1) Rapidly translate research findings and evidence based treatments into clinical practice; (2) Increase impact of VA research findings through bi-directional partnership, rigorous evaluation, and communication; and (3) Make VA a national leader in promoting a learning healthcare organization through innovative implementation science. To this end, QUERI funds several programs throughout the U.S. that support the application of implementation strategies that support VA strategic goals through specific projects at the local and national levels, evidence synthesis programs, as well as several partnered evaluation initiatives that support the more targeted and rapid evaluation needs of VA program leaders.
The Health Science Specialist assists the QUERI Director and QUERI Program Manager in a variety of management tasks with a focus on activities that help achieve a real-world impact of research, regional initiatives, and special projects. The incumbent keeps the QUERI Director and Program Manager apprised of issues that need to be addressed by senior Major duties and responsibilities include:
Work Schedule: Monday - Friday, from 8:00am - 4:30pm.
Recruitment & Relocation Incentives: Not authorized
Financial Disclosure Report: Not Required
- Manages the implementation of ongoing and new initiatives;
- Coordinates activities across the QUERI resource centers focused on evidence synthesis, implementation strategies, and evidence-based evaluation and policy;
- Coordinates, reviews, analyzes, documents, and provides oversight to assigned projects;
- Drafts and edits solicitations (requests for applications or RFAs, VISN solicitations) for new projects and obtains the necessary approvals for dissemination;
- Analyzes the impact and cost of proposed new initiatives on current and out year budgets skill in health science research methodology, the peer review process, project management and the field of health care services;
- Synthesizes information, conducting computer-assisted database searches as well as careful analysis and succinct writing skills, are required to meet information needs of, and to develop appropriate briefings for senior officials;
- Project/program management, preferably in evaluation, implementation science, quality improvement science, health policy, health services research or related field and setting involving multiple projects;
- Uses critical thinking and organizational skills in preparing and conducting presentations for scientific audiences, communicating and defending difficult programmatic decisions; and
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/496401500. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.